Mono amp for mid bass drivers?

greezychef

I consider mid bass in the 120 hz to 350 hz range. It depends what frequencies your wanting to get out of your 8s. Im kinda confused actually. People are talking about separation and highs and tweets. He asked about running a pair of mid bass 8s off a amp, so i dont understand what seperation from left and right or highs and tweets have to do with this? :shrug: Am i missing something?

No, It does not depend on what frequiencies you are wanting out of your 8s, He already said "midbass" ...

A class D mono block amplifier has a specific role in car audio ... Sub bass.

Will it play higher frequiencies ?? Yes, but no where dynamic enough to blend with the mids and highs correctly.

Applications like this will call for a class d "fullrange" amplifier or class A/B amplifier.

And you need left and right separation to make your system sound "correct" as if you was at the event.

Even today, televisions STILL have speakers on the left and right sides to give correct effect.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I consider mid bass in the 120 hz to 350 hz range. It depends what frequencies your wanting to get out of your 8s. Im kinda confused actually. People are talking about separation and highs and tweets. He asked about running a pair of mid bass 8s off a amp, so i dont understand what seperation from left and right or highs and tweets have to do with this? :shrug: Am i missing something?

You still want left and right separation for midbass drivers. Can't do that with a mono amp.

The tweets were brought up for crossover reasons. If the mids can't play high enough and the tweets can't play down to them, there will be a gap where certain frequencies aren't heard. Not good for music.

Bottom line, he can run those speakers on that amp, but it won't sound right(to most people).

I understand you dont want a gap. So most people will tune each mid bass to different frequencies? this is something new to me, i guess i learned something new............. ****** Disregard this, i understand now. lol ******

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Well, I'll let Randal cover that question. Why would you want anything other than a sub stage on monaural? Music does have left/right separation when recorded. You'd lose that if you put the same two drivers on a single channel.

Well, I'll let Randal cover that question. Why would you want anything other than a sub stage on monaural? Music does have left/right separation when recorded. You'd lose that if you put the same two drivers on a single channel.

Duhhh wowo my brain is not working today. that makes much more sense to me now.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

you can run two mono amps one to each mid bass and then get you stereo speration

I am doing something similar to this with my 49 Ford project.

What's different is I'm taking a pair of Class A/B 2 channel amplifiers and setting each mono to run a pair of 10s (one in each kick pannel) ...

I just do not see where a pair of sub bass oriented class D mono block amplifiers would be able to do this correctly.

There is just not enough dynamics in the amplifier's characteristics ...

Guess you could try it and see what happens ... I'm all open to trial and error !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

you can run two mono amps one to each mid bass and then get you stereo speration

What's different is I'm taking a pair of Class A/B 2 channel amplifiers and setting each mono to run a pair of 10s (one in each kick pannel) ...

I just do not see where a pair of sub bass oriented class D mono block amplifiers would be able to do this correctly.

Guess you could try it and see what happens ... I'm all open to trial and error !!!

So your doing 2 class A/B 2 channel amps set on mono just for the full range feature? Why not just (1) 2 channel amp on stereo? Just trying to understand.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

i may end up running a 4 channel for my midbass, run channels 1,2 for coils 1 and 2 on a d4 , then 3,4 for the other two coils. but i may end up just buying a 2 channel amp, idk I dont even have my midbass installed yet

I'm almost done with my mid bass door panels for my 2 8s so this thread is actually helping me, because i haven't figured out what amp and how i want to run them yet.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

So your doing 2 class A/B 2 channel amps set on mono just for the full range feature? Why not just (1) 2 channel amp on stereo? Just trying to understand.
Power, Dynamics, and Headroom

Each 10 will see (at any given time) about 500 watts of power with ZERO gain.

Also, there will be no subs in this build so my 10s in the kicks will double as my midbass drivers and my sub bass drivers.

they will play (give or take with tuning) 500 htz and below to match up with my midrange drivers which will be playing fullrange down to 100 htz.

Not many drivers can do this ... Which is why I will need as much amplification / battery power as possible.

Well, I'll let Randal cover that question.

Looks to me like you have things completely under control Sir ... :nothingtoadd:

Archived