Image Dynamics Mids/Highs, Components worth the money?

dharris2488

Just as titile says... Are these worth the money they are asking for them? Basically, all the lines they offer seem to be overpriced to me... Am I wrong?

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Basically, all the lines they offer seem to be overpriced to me...

I'm assuming this is because you have never seen (heard) them in action.

In my personal opinion ... the Chamelion (think I spelled this correctly) components are WELL Worth the money spent ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Got 2 sets of them and recently blew 1 of the tweeters on my cxs 64's. Didn't matter much to me as I was swapping them anyways, but you'd be hard pressed to find a component set that has the quality of sound these do out of the box.

Got 2 sets of them and recently blew 1 of the tweeters on my cxs 64's. Didn't matter much to me as I was swapping them anyways, but you'd be hard pressed to find a component set that has the quality of sound these do out of the box.

Basically, all the lines they offer seem to be overpriced to me...

I'm assuming this is because you have never seen (heard) them in action.

In my personal opinion ... the Chamelion (think I spelled this correctly) components are WELL Worth the money spent ...

Yes, I have never heard them, so I was wondering why the price was so high. Seems that they are worth every penny then. Maybe I should look into getting a set. I'd like to listen to a set before I purchase them, but if the reviews stay positive, I may just pony up the cash and buy a set to replace the Kappa's...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have Kappas in my bronco and then replaced them with reference components, my civic has image dynamics everything. I would be willing to compare image dynamics entry level line to my old kappas and references, the highs are just as crisp and clear but i think the mid bass woofer in the image is deeper and stronger in my opinion.

1994 Ford bronco

Infininti kappa 4 channel driving a pair of reference 6.5s and a pair of 6x8 kappas

downfiring console w/ a pair of image dynamic 8s on a memphis 250.1

1999 Honda Civic Si

front doors- image dynamics ctx 6" coaxial with ID tweets

Back deck- Image Dynamics ctx 6x9" coaxials

Bass- PSI platform 1 12" in a 4th order tuned to 39hz

Amps- CT sounds 60.4 highs and mids, Ampere Audio 1k bass

Power- Big 3 upgrade, second juicebox 50ah battery, sky high 1/0, skyhigh battery terminals

I used to have Kappas in my bronco and then replaced them with reference components, my civic has image dynamics everything. I would be willing to compare image dynamics entry level line to my old kappas and references, the highs are just as crisp and clear but i think the mid bass woofer in the image is deeper and stronger in my opinion.

Yeah, I finally got to hear the csx and the higher end components from ID. I also got to listen to Hertz and Audison as well. I will say that all 3 brands sound great. Out of the three, I was leaning towards the Hertz. Mid bass seem to be more full and rich than the rest of them. When I say this, I say this with caution as I was listening really hard to pick out the most crisp, full range, cleanest of the 3. Now, if I could only install all three in my car!

I will have to say that the Kappa's highs to me still sound the most crisp. But with that said, they had a "tinny" sound to them? They almost hurt my ears at high volumes, as to where the other 3 I listened to did not. But, I wasn't in my car either. I think I'm going to find a set of Hertz to go with and see how I like them. Prolly the middle of the road line... I forget the name, Mille? The midbass on all three, Hertz, ID, and Audison sounded 10x's better than the Kappa's to me...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

The statement above sounds like I was listening to my Kappa's against the other 3 brands in the shop. I do have Kappa's installed up front with the reference in the rear of my car. This is where I was getting my comparison from for the Kappa's. They sound "tinny" in my car and hurt my ears... The other 3 brands did not do that when I was listening to them in the shop. I was told the other 3 brands would not sound like the Kappa's, that they would be easier on my ears, more rich, and much much better on the mid bass section in my car.

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

The Kappas are known to be harsh by most and overly bright. That is the "tinny" dims your referring to. Without doing too much(any) research, your Kappas are an aluminum dome tweeter and the other high end brand comments you listened to were likely silk dome tweeters. Silks have a smoother sound and are my preferred material of choice for quality. Have you tried to attenuate to tweeter with the pair crossover? There should be a -3 dB, 0 dB and +3 dB setting on the crossover. You have the ability to knock down some harshness within the crossover itself, try it.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Also, I've got a set of the XS65 comments in my garage right now that I'm just waiting to install and its their cream of the crop for what they offer modern day. It's beyond the modern Chameleon series but quite a bit. I wouldn't have bought them but they were given to me in exchange for work. I'll try to get them in a quality install(maybe my girl's 2013 Camaro) on some good class A/B power with some GOOD head room.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

The Kappas are known to be harsh by most and overly bright. That is the "tinny" dims your referring to. Without doing too much(any) research, your Kappas are an aluminum dome tweeter and the other high end brand comments you listened to were likely silk dome tweeters. Silks have a smoother sound and are my preferred material of choice for quality. Have you tried to attenuate to tweeter with the pair crossover? There should be a -3 dB, 0 dB and +3 dB setting on the crossover. You have the ability to knock down some harshness within the crossover itself, try it.

You described what I was trying to explain perfectly! The Kappa's hurt my ears. Yes, I have played with the -3db and 0db and +3db setting on the tweeter. It does make a difference when you turn the +3db off. The reference series has that little button you push to "intensify" the tweeter as well. Honestly, I think the reference series sounds better than the Kappa's.

I think what I want is a silk dome tweeter like you described. They're much easier on the ear, while still hitting the tones they're supposed to. Much fuller sound out of the complete component set, even at extreme volume. They also didn't distort or hurt my ears in the least bit. Yes, the Kappa's play clear and loud for sure, but as mentioned, they hurt and ring my ears... Time to take the dive into some high quality components.

I don't know too much about high end component sets. This is something new to me. When I bought the Kappa's, I thought I was buying the cream of the crop. Now, I know there are better sets out there. I suppose once I get into the Hertz, Audison, ID arena, they will all hold up about the same? It's pretty much just what I think sounds the best to me?

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

Archived