Second Skin Audio

Designing my first enclosure, want to bounce ideas off you guys

philrab

Definitely you are missing something, usually flared round ports are given 9-12 sq in/cube (Torres manual) instead of the 14-16 which is given to slot ports

Those are merely vague estimates though, if the manufacturer is saying you need a 4" to 6" round port in their tuning range just go by that. in that port area range you can also use 2 3", 3 3" or 2 4" ports.

Thanks for straightening me out.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Definitely you are missing something, usually flared round ports are given 9-12 sq in/cube (Torres manual) instead of the 14-16 which is given to slot ports

:roflmao::shrug:

If you never ask, you never learn. Thanks to all you guys for being gentle while I try to figure this crap out.

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

If you never ask, you never learn. Thanks to all you guys for being gentle while I try to figure this crap out.

It's very simple, as my previous post states disregard any port area per cube rule recommendation as they are vague estimates and go by what the manufacturer is suggesting.

It's very simple, as my previous post states disregard any port area per cube rule recommendation as they are vague estimates and go by what the manufacturer is suggesting.

Will do. I suppose my confusion was partly down to OA's rec. They're saying a single 12" is good for a 4" or 6" round port, and they also recommend a 6" port for a 15". That kinda led me to believe that perhaps if you use the smallest ported enclosure they recommend (1.5 cu ft.) then a 4" would be okay, but if you go for the largest recommended enclosure (2.0 cu ft.) then a 6" port is more appropriate. I had planned a 2.0 net cu ft. enclosure, but wanted to get away with a 4" port.

Worst case scenario, if I build it and just get incredible port noise, I can always punch a second hold for another 4" port, and make them both longer to keep my tuning frequency where I want it. 2 4" ports would be pretty close to the port area of a 6" round....or I just router out the hole and put in a single 6".

Thanks for the advice. Just gotta get some stuff lined up and build this damned thing.

Build Thread

In general going absolute smallest bare minimum you can possibly get by with is a recipe for weak performance. You'll always be wondering why people with half the power and cone area are getting more and better sound.

That's why I wanted to go with the largest recommended enclosure, since I'm only running rated. May have to consider more port area.

Build Thread

In general going absolute smallest bare minimum you can possibly get by with is a recipe for weak performance. You'll always be wondering why people with half the power and cone area are getting more and better sound.

That's why I wanted to go with the largest recommended enclosure, since I'm only running rated. May have to consider more port area.

in most applications, i wouldnt use the largest recommended enclosure at full rms power. the larger the box, the more potential for mechanical failure at power. larger enclosure recommendations are usually just there for people who dont have much power on tap.

its a sliding scale type of thing. you just have to kinda balance mechanical power handling with thermal power handling.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

in most applications, i wouldnt use the largest recommended enclosure at full rms power. the larger the box, the more potential for mechanical failure at power. larger enclosure recommendations are usually just there for people who dont have much power on tap.

its a sliding scale type of thing. you just have to kinda balance mechanical power handling with thermal power handling.

I'll be a little short of full rms power. 500 watts on tap, sub is rated for 600rms.

Build Thread

Archived