Second Skin Audio

Never Ending!!

Josh Chav

Ok, so i am hoping you guys can help... but first let me give my background so you understand where i am coming from..

so growing up i always used kicker l7, started off with 2 12's and they pounded! I ran them with a kicker kx1200.1 amp 4g wire. My friend then got 2 15 L7 and his killed mine, same amp and everything! Ever since then, car to car, i been wanting to get 2 (or more) 15's.

I finally got 1 15 and ran it with the same 1200.1 amp, it was loud but not as loud as i wanted still, i wanted at least 2 15's.

so finally i got 2 15's (about time), running them with the same kx1200.1 amp 4g wire. I is not nearly as loud as his was and i dont know why!! grrr!!! i figured maybe his box was bigger (1 or 2 cubic feet per sub bigger) but is that really that big of a difference?

so i got a hifonics 2400.1 amp (i know its not the best but wanted to double the power just to see if it helps) but now it sounds the same if not even less loud! Would this be caused cause i am using 4g wire still instead of 0g? what am i doing wrong!?

too many factors to determine....I'm guessing you both have different vehicles; his may respond better to bass....OR he may be tuned to a better frequency than you.

It's not just about how much power you can run, or how many subs you can cram in there. Researching what sounds the best/loudest for your vehicle will yield much better results than throwing equipment at it and expecting it to work.

edit: on that note, that Hifonics amp uses 0 gauge lines so yes, upgrade your wiring; your probably starving the amp and can possibly melt wires if it tries to pull more current than the wire can provide.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Vehicle/amp/electrical/enclosure/music will all determine the output when comparing vehicles side by side with the same shit. As a professional installer,90% of the time the same products do not sound the same in different vehicles even if they are the same vehicles.

too many factors to determine....I'm guessing you both have different vehicles; his may respond better to bass....OR he may be tuned to a better frequency than you.

It's not just about how much power you can run, or how many subs you can cram in there. Researching what sounds the best/loudest for your vehicle will yield much better results than throwing equipment at it and expecting it to work.

edit: on that note, that Hifonics amp uses 0 gauge lines so yes, upgrade your wiring; your probably starving the amp and can possibly melt wires if it tries to pull more current than the wire can provide.

ok so he is using an excursion and i have a tahoe, we have just about same space in the back end (mine without 3rd row).

so you think 0 guage will help? if my amp was pulling toomuch currently wouldnt it go into protection mode?

Vehicle/amp/electrical/enclosure/music will all determine the output when comparing vehicles side by side with the same shit. As a professional installer,90% of the time the same products do not sound the same in different vehicles even if they are the same vehicles.

i just feel like im doing something wrong... i almost think my 12's hit harder ha ha

i just feel like im doing something wrong... i almost think my 12's hit harder ha ha

Not to mention, dude your sub's impedances are all mixed up. No way it will sound near the output of the same system that is PROPERLY wired up.

what do you mean my impedances are mixed up? i am running 2 2ohm wired at 2ohm. I am the one who hooked his up also. im just confused :/

That's a long run so yes 0 gauge. Also the box is not only a big deal but it's almost everything. If his box was designed and tuned better and then built better there could be a world of difference all else equal. Kicker makes good amps. A 1200 watt kicker will put out well over half of what a high nice 2400 will put out. You might have gained a few hundred watts but not double. So like has been said there are many factors. My guess is he has a better box that is tuned well with the truck. Build a new box and you might be surprised how much of a difference it will make.

Archived