Second Skin Audio

Are these good subs?

dawgs007

Assuming they are indeed the 4" coil ones they're worth that money broken just for the motors.... in fact if you buy them and break them, hit me up, I know a guy in the Bronx that would buy them broken.

Bear in mind spider sag + 15 year old technology... you're going to want to pay to play if you want some big boy sound, but grab those for 75$

You lucky bastard!!! Those were the shit! Yes 1000k RMS all day! 4" coil bro, besides the 10's I think. The sensitivity is not to bad either for a 4" coil. Probably because a short coil.

Lmfao! Edit* 1000rms all day!

so for $75, two 12" of this are a good deal?

If they are brand new, then they are a STEAL. If they are used and in working condition then they are a good deal. If they are sagging and torn, it will be around 300-400$ for drop in re-cones. 500$+ if you have someone recone them for you, at that point just look at new sub's. These sub's are great, but should not have to dish out more then 200$ total for a working pair.

If their in working order, someone would be a fool not to buy them for that price. Because you could turn around and sell them and make profit, even if you didn't want to run them. But yeah, awesome deal, still great subs, get them.

If their in working order, someone would be a fool not to buy them for that price. Because you could turn around and sell them and make profit, even if you didn't want to run them. But yeah, awesome deal, still great subs, get them.

how could you tell if it is sagging from age? I'd like to know what to look for. Also, would you consider them better or worse than todays RF P3's? Would just like to know if it would be worthwhile to hook them up into my system?

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

It doesn't even matter. Buy them, tear them apart, sell the motors for 50$ a pop and sell the frames for 20$ a pop and you cleared 20$ even if you ship free.

even still you can get recones cheap on ebay.

It doesn't even matter. Buy them, tear them apart, sell the motors for 50$ a pop and sell the frames for 20$ a pop and you cleared 20$ even if you ship free.

if i knew how lol. Plus, I don't know where to sell the parts at. Lol

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

• 3 weeks later...

Like everyone said, they were the shit back than. I had "5" , yes "5" NIB,.....predecessors to the RFR sub,.....the PWR-412 single coil 12's when I was building my Unofficial RF Chevy S-10 in 2002.

I sat on them for 2 years and sold them for $1000 on Ebay to finish my build and instead went with 4 12 HX2's.

Things to keep in mind. Before you buy them "to use" bring an Ohm meter and have them metered.

If you want to buy them to break them and sell the motors, than don't bother reading below!

I have turned down 3 pairs of Old School RFR 12's so far because of abnormal readings.

This is what I have found while pawn shopping for subs. My findings are pretty consistent, so I want to share.

To test for a sagging spider, Visually inspect both subs, see if one is lower than the other. You'll be surprised

at how one sub will be lower. People sell subs to pawn shops for this reason.

(I have 2 shops testing V.C. resistance before buying them thanks to me. lol)

Test the voice coils individually. Back then they only had 4 Ohm. Each coil should read about 3.8-3.9 Ohm typically.

Sagging spiders I have found will yield higher numbers like 4.2-4.3 Ohm or higher.

If you get less than 3.7 Ohm, the coils will be fired. And you can not tell because you can not see the coil like the new subs.

Do not bother pressing on the coil, that really doesn't tell you much except for rubbing.

I sell used subs on Ebay. I have not had a single complaint by sticking with these parameters I have mentioned.

-Frank

Archived