Sonic Electronix

Attending my very first SPL competition. Advice?

Try to find your peak frequency before the show and have your test tones somewhere easy to navigate. Easiest is if you have them on a disk/usb stick where the track numbers and tones are the same number. Around my area there's usually 1 or 2 people at any show with a meter who would be glad to help you test to find your peak... show up early and ask around.

I wouldn't suggest running a sine sweep since the low end can break stuff and most SPL meters want you to hold the tone for 3 seconds for an accurate reading. Best is to test each frequency on it's own at low-ish power to get an idea of where your peak(s) are. Low power will ensure you don't start losing from heat or voltage drop. Once you have it narrowed down you can test a few tones and full power and see which is best. Often times what's loudest at low power isn't loudest at full power, but it usually gets you close.

Clean out your car completely before you go. Having a bunch of clutter in the back seats or on the floor usually hurts on the meter and looks pretty ghetto.

Definitely make sure you have fun and meet some new friends!

Hey bud I posted this morning, but I guess it never made it through. What day and time?

Saturday at 12pm

Try to find your peak frequency before the show and have your test tones somewhere easy to navigate. Easiest is if you have them on a disk/usb stick where the track numbers and tones are the same number. Around my area there's usually 1 or 2 people at any show with a meter who would be glad to help you test to find your peak... show up early and ask around.

I wouldn't suggest running a sine sweep since the low end can break stuff and most SPL meters want you to hold the tone for 3 seconds for an accurate reading. Best is to test each frequency on it's own at low-ish power to get an idea of where your peak(s) are. Low power will ensure you don't start losing from heat or voltage drop. Once you have it narrowed down you can test a few tones and full power and see which is best. Often times what's loudest at low power isn't loudest at full power, but it usually gets you close.

Clean out your car completely before you go. Having a bunch of clutter in the back seats or on the floor usually hurts on the meter and looks pretty ghetto.

Definitely make sure you have fun and meet some new friends!

Yes sir

So it sounds like you're mainly after nice numbers.

You've got some really nice gear, and if set up well you will score great numbers.

If you're an outgoing person, perhaps approach people and explain to them that it's your first event, 99% of people at comps are cool and love to chat.

The main thing to remember is to enjoy yourself and walk away happy. If you don't score well initially, don't sit there and slap hard on your system, or get caught up in the moment and try and turn it up too far just for the sake of numbers, risking frying something, smoking your subs, it just heats up your equipment and kills your voltage. If you don't get loud in your first 20 seconds or so, leave it, park up, think it over and if they let you try again have another go. Usually the more experienced guys can help you out if something goes wrong or you're not quite getting it, I usually try and help people at shows as much as possible.

Some "general" SPL hints from me, with some of them already being covered by others above

- Never demo or crank your system before your run, that means driving to the comp etc.

- If you know your peak before the day, that is a big advantage because it saves trying to find it on the day, which can waste time and hinder your maximum score

- Always disconnect your speaker amps either at the RCAs or even better at the REM

- Wind the LOW PASS crossover for your sub amp all the way up so it doesn't attentuate anything

- Turn off your SUBSONIC FILTER, or wind it all the way down so it doesn't attentuate anything

- Always try and park in the shade at the show, keep the heat out of your car, cover your equipment with a sheet if the suns shining hard, keep your subs and amps cool

- Folding your rear seats down is generally good for a few tenths in most cars

- If you don't get the numbers you want, don't hurt any of your gear just for the sake of a few numbers, you'll be pissed off for weeks/months if you smoke something just for a few minutes of glory at an event.

- Write shit down; all your numbers, what tracks you were playing, peak frequency, volume level on headunit etc. etc. This shit gets forgotten fast and you can reference it later

Hope this helps

It did thanks man

It doesn't always work but I've seen it mentioned on here a few times as something that has helped.

Will definitely try it

Refs 15 so far

skittlesRgood-SMD.com- sold a game to

Derrick824- SMD.com - ya boy got some decals

Tkitt21-SMD.com -traded for 2 BTL's

Hellbound Train-SMD.com -sold games to

NightDrifter05-CA.com- sold game to

ace_800-CA.com- Sold game to

vfrrider-CA.com- Sold Game to

luises14-CAC.org- Bought 2 BTL's from

BlackWaterOp-CAC.org- Sold game to

EricSteagall- SSA.com- Sold Hifonics 2610 to

Also bring a cooler with cold drinks and water, if you bring enough for everyone, you'll be pretty popular. If not, don't tell anyone and secretly keep yourself hydrated and cool (Or drunk). Not sure where you're at but down in Houston it gets hot as balls. So the dude with the free drinks is always popular.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

Archived