Ritch40 Posted September 12, 2014 Report Posted September 12, 2014 id go a touch longer, 1/8" maybe. two things with that. #1 even though you think your going exact length, what happens if your short? the material may well split on you. #2 your always going to have some sort of debris ahead of the screw as it threads in. going just a touch longer gives the debris a place to go. The debris is most often little more than dust, but as we all know, dust in the wrong place can cause major head aches.
viol8ter Posted September 12, 2014 Author Report Posted September 12, 2014 id go a touch longer, 1/8" maybe. two things with that. #1 even though you think your going exact length, what happens if your short? the material may well split on you. #2 your always going to have some sort of debris ahead of the screw as it threads in. going just a touch longer gives the debris a place to go. The debris is most often little more than dust, but as we all know, dust in the wrong place can cause major head aches. Thanks. I will make sure to go a little deeper from now on. I am going to make a bandpass box over the winter first time ever so I will be on here for a couple months getting info before I build.
Joe X Posted September 12, 2014 Report Posted September 12, 2014 Try Spax MDF screws next time, those can greatly reduce splits issues: http://www.spax.com/en/handymen/screw-finder/products/solutions/spax-mdf-screw
viol8ter Posted September 12, 2014 Author Report Posted September 12, 2014 Try Spax MDF screws next time, those can greatly reduce splits issues: http://www.spax.com/en/handymen/screw-finder/products/solutions/spax-mdf-screw Thanks. I had no idea they existed...lol I will be ordering some of them soon.
Ritch40 Posted September 12, 2014 Report Posted September 12, 2014 if you dont mind spending a touch more on material, I'd also suggest trying birch faced plywood. It is a little more spendy than MDF, but, its also lighter.
viol8ter Posted September 12, 2014 Author Report Posted September 12, 2014 if you dont mind spending a touch more on material, I'd also suggest trying birch faced plywood. It is a little more spendy than MDF, but, its also lighter. Is that material stainable? I have always wanted a woodgrain box.
Wood Posted September 12, 2014 Report Posted September 12, 2014 You did great on your new enclosure! I was gonna suggest the pilot holes too, but ritch got that covered lol are you gonna wrap it? 2011 Nissan Altima aka Red Ruby HEADUNIT: Pioneer AVH X2700BS ELECTRICAL: -Singer 230a -Northstar gr34 -(2) Northstar SMS220 w/ Custom Terminals from 12V Metalworkz -100% Welding Cable FRONT STAGE:-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165 -Hertz HSK130 -Ampere Audio 125.4 SUB STAGE: -(3) Sundown Audio SA REV2 12's -Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2 MISC (NON AUDIO RELATED): -Interior & Exterior Lights LED -Gloss Black Roof (PAINTED) -15% Front, 5% Rear Tint -Roof Spoiler -20" TSW Snettertons (20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear) -Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!! -Aftermarket Fog Lights -Custom Painted Engine Covers My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109 Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346
Ritch40 Posted September 12, 2014 Report Posted September 12, 2014 yes the birch faced plywood is stainable.
juan777 Posted September 12, 2014 Report Posted September 12, 2014 (On the old test box): That port area doe! Bitches love a leaky sealed box The L@zy Hoe 2005 Chevy Tahoe 2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids 4 10 midrange 4 6.5 midwoofers 4 Tweeters 6 Supertweeters 2 Lithium 80AH Batteries 24K Watts 4 Custom 18s Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works The Build Log Like Loud Bass? Click Here! On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said: See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on. On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said: I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!
viol8ter Posted September 13, 2014 Author Report Posted September 13, 2014 You did great on your new enclosure! I was gonna suggest the pilot holes too, but ritch got that covered lol are you gonna wrap it? I plan on painting it to match my truck interior. But thats another day and a lot of work...lol
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.