Home Subwoofer Help

So I had setup a car amp yesterday for my home subwoofers. The power supply is from a XBOX 360.The problem is with the RCA. When I hook my amp to my receiver, i get a constant hum/interference noise. I had a single rca going from my receiver to a splitter to the amp. I tried 2 different RCA's and without using a splitter, still had the hum. I then tried hooking the amp directly to my phone using a 3.5 to RCA cable, problem went away, but i was left without the music since nothing is going to the receiver. I'm considering trying the wire ground trick from the amp RCA input to amp ground.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help

That whole setup just sounds bad to me. Why not just spend some money on a home audio set up that has more output? I guess that's what you're looking for? Did you measure to make sure you're getting the proper voltage for power from the "xbox 360 power supply"? Or maybe the signal coming through your RCA's is distorted and noisy and you're hearing the feedback from it. I think it's a somewhat cool thought what you're trying to do, but i think it'd be better to just buy a home audio system

That whole setup just sounds bad to me. Why not just spend some money on a home audio set up that has more output? I guess that's what you're looking for? Did you measure to make sure you're getting the proper voltage for power from the "xbox 360 power supply"? Or maybe the signal coming through your RCA's is distorted and noisy and you're hearing the feedback from it. I think it's a somewhat cool thought what you're trying to do, but i think it'd be better to just buy a home audio system

I've seen many people actually run these XBOX supplies on amps. This one does around 12.5v for I believe 16amps. Obviously not a ton of power but I'm not looking for something crazy either. The plate amp i had did "50 watts" RMS, I never heard any interference like this though when I had that amp hooked up. This isn't a permanent solution, just a temporary project since I already had the stuff, I plan to get a home audio or PA amp later.

Any other ideas on what to do for now though? Things I could be missing?

You have a ground loop going on very common in home audio. Does your home have grounds? Does the power supply have grounds.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

You have a ground loop going on very common in home audio. Does your home have grounds? Does the power supply have grounds.

Figured out the problem. I grounded the outer case of the RCA. Soldered on a wire and heat shrunk it, grounded to same power supply as the amp, no more noise. I'm still gonna check the home grounds though, thanks for the help.

sometimes using different outlets will cause some ground loops to occur. I had the same problem with a Dayton plate amp. It turned out to be the sub cable so i just used one side of an interconnect and it seemed to solve the problem. I did however buy a ground loop isolator from radio shack to wire in line from reciever pre out to the LFE on the amp, but it didnt seem to do much. It just seemed to cut the signal down.

Old houses that have grounds at outlet will cause this. Also if you have a coaxial cable for tv it will cause ground loop also. Cable companies do poor job of grounding there installation.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12