Using a wall as a PA system?

Matt Duffie

Hi everyone. I'm a new member, but I have been checking out the site for a while now. I'm in love with some of the custom builds in this site. I have a question though that I haven't seen asked before.

I DJ at some small church and college events sometimes.. (Mostly outside) And I'm wondering, would it be better to keep lugging those big 15 inch PA speakers around and having to set up everything each time, or do you think it would sound alright setting up a wall in the back of my Trailblazer and just opening the hatch?

I'm about to order an SA-12 and build a box for it... But I could fiberglass a wall and make it look good and save a lot of work each time I go out. Maybe kill two bird with one stone.

A few questions though:

What would the sound quality be like as a daily driver?

If you think the SQ would be ok for a daily driver, what kind of speakers would have a pretty good sound for PA use?

I'm guessing around 6-8 6" mid range speakers, and the SA12 for bass. And maybe 4 tweeters.. Maybe this is a bad idea. I have no idea. Lol. I've never heard a wall like this, so I don't know how it would sound. That why Im asking you guys. Thanks in advance guys.

Hopefully I put this in the right section. It's a SQ question I guess. Lol

all those speakers in the rear wall only cost like a couple hundred dollars i think. maybe like $500 or so. rough estimate.

it gets stupid loud. like, hear it clearly for a half mile loud.

saw something a bit like this in a shop once, big altima SUV, back hatch opens and a fiberglass trim panel goes top to bottom and all sides, the construction was essentially 3 levels of MDF "boxes", bottom was a nice 12" in a bandpass, middle had a big TV and 2 mid bass with several mid ranges, and top had super tweets on horns with a few more mid ranges. I thought it was pretty cool, especially since the guy owned a paint shop and all the trim had that airbrush art shit going on. Pretty cool for going to the beach and using it as a jukebox haha

Yea PA drivers are cheap and usually really efficient so a LITTLE power will make them rock. I saw this guy had an awesome setup for parties, basically a SUV with a tray that came out with two turntables. (sorry if thats in the video can't see it at work)

PRV and Dayton are good budget choices. Selenium is good too.

partsexpress (they have a DIY area on their site with designs too by the way)

usspeaker.com (pro audio drivers)

My vote is find an old chevy/GMC/Dodge van from the 70s/80s/90s with a bubble window in the back and do a crazy mural on the side :D

Van.jpg

Thanks for the link to the speaker. I was imagining around 2-3k for a big build like that. Now I see that I can do it a lot cheaper. GLAD for that. And thanks aculous for the info. I didn't know where to really begin looking around for stuff like this. It's not really big demand products, so it's kind of hard to search for. I knew you guys here could lead me in the right direction. Hopefully I'll be able to start this project pretty soon. I'll post pictures as I go and let you know how it's turning out. I'll read more into it when I get out of work today. Thanks for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuned in for a loud as dicks mid wall

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived