Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Does power affect box rise??


Cj Kumz

Recommended Posts

Posted

The point is that a reactive load...is reactive. So it's impossible to tell how a certain driver will work in a certain enclosure on a certain amplifier without tools and testing. There's a lot of variables

MMMMmmmm hmmmmmmm....

the amp dont matter shit.... but i feel ya

(why would power applied matter?,..... i can see it now...... hifonix will come out with RISE fixing amps. That said, you can battle impedance, hence the BDCP amps and such, but controling it....that seems funny)

I guess maybe if you're putting more than the rated power of the coil to it, then you could see some changes, I don't know for sure though.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s



 

Posted

I understand almost everything about impedance rise, very efficient boxes normally have lower rise. And normally where the rise is at it lowest is where the box is tuned to, that's from my own testing

Very efficient boxes usually have a higher "rise", eventhough 'rise' doesn't exist.

That seems wrong in my world........ You "rise higher" you will make less power/output.

In my case...

The reason it made monster output, with not much power, and in a 30hz band width, was that my "rise" was nil

The OLE, normal figure (ya.. "normal") that at a nominal load you times 2 or 3 for a reactive load.

you wire to .5, youll see around 1 or 1.5 ohm...... all shit whatever of course...

Me? I rise/rose A TICK over x1.

Wired at .5, id run my IMsg and see (with in my playable band) a "rise" under x1. like with in .2 ohm for a band of 15-20 hz.

That, is what efficient means..... If you RISE, that in turn makes the amp see 15ohm and power is down......

I shit you not. I stayed with in nominal load, for a HUGE band... No real peak though. Hense why it sounds dope on music, and meters like a turd.......

Yes, you make less power but the subwoofer is more efficient at using the power.(more dB's per Watt)

See how the average impedance is higher with the bigger box.( and as we know, the bigger box is more efficient.)

mabbr8.jpg

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Posted

The point is that a reactive load...is reactive. So it's impossible to tell how a certain driver will work in a certain enclosure on a certain amplifier without tools and testing. There's a lot of variables

MMMMmmmm hmmmmmmm....

the amp dont matter shit.... but i feel ya

(why would power applied matter?,..... i can see it now...... hifonix will come out with RISE fixing amps. That said, you can battle impedance, hence the BDCP amps and such, but controling it....that seems funny)

I guess maybe if you're putting more than the rated power of the coil to it, then you could see some changes, I don't know for sure though.

Even way before that, look at this graph. (there are better ones out there but, that's the one i found first, which isn't difficult to understand)

More power=more resistance/impedance

1106howardfig1.jpg

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Posted

Ok so if I upgrade my power i will have more resistance. Ok thanks. So a smaller box increases mechanical handling, reduces the impedance rise and reduces DB per watt. Am I right??

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

I would only measure rise at where your peak is for comps. Music varies so much it useless to worry about it.

Wired at .5 I only rise to .85 where I peak at which is between 30-33hz. Good for me as most the music I play is in that range so my setup may be similar to Kyle's. Bitch is banging on music and making a ton of power down low but the numbers are just decent imo.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

Posted

Ok so if I upgrade my power i will have more resistance. Ok thanks. So a smaller box increases mechanical handling, reduces the impedance rise and reduces DB per watt. Am I right??

No. You're welcome. No it depends on the driver, no it depends on the driver/enclosure together and again, no, it depends on the driver.

Posted

Thanks for the info guys. I know this is off topic but can you test to know your tuning frequency?? Can the impedance graph show??

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

Thanks for the info guys. I know this is off topic but can you test to know your tuning frequency?? Can the impedance graph show??

No, Just run a sweep and find what freq you would burp at at a comp. Then just clamp it on that freq and find out your rise there. Then you can have a good judge as to what kind of power its making. So if you have a 5k amp and burp at say 40hz and you get 2x rise or what ever you can say well it does 150db with 3500 watts clamped at 1.8ohms.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5298 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...