Second Skin Audio

Design Changes for added bracing....cuts will begin tonight!

magillaru

I downloaded Torres but can't figure it out....the numbers I'm coming up with aren't adding up with desired port tuning, etc.

Max dimensions available: L x W x H (28 x 55 x 45) *I have 2" more available for Length if needed.

Subs: 2 Fi Team 15s

Power: 1 American Bass 1100.1

Desired Net Volume: 8 cubes

Port Area: 120 sq in

Tuning: 32 Hz *(WiniSD says 34 Hz but I play a lot of decaf so thought 32 would be a happy medium)

Design: Subs and port firing forward (1 slot centered port)

Side panels: 1.5"

Rear panel: 3"

Front baffle: 3" + .75" beauty panel

Bracing: threaded rods

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

THANKS!

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Looks good to me. My only concern is port clearance on the back wall of the enclosure, you really should have a port width of clearance. With 4 front baffles, using 0,75" MDF, I'm coming up with an internal depth of 24.5", which is exactly how long your port is. It's quite possible I'm misreading that/being boneheaded, but that makes me wonder. I'd heavily consider making 6" of that port external to the enclosure, which would drag the whole port 6" outwards and give you the port clearance on the back wall you need. I'd also add 1/2" to the port and hit both ends with a roundover bit (in the case of the inner end of the port, I'd roundover the ID and OD of it, just for aerodynamics sake.)

I have an SA12 tuned to 33 hz by comparison, and 99% sure the rule of thumb is you can play 1/2 octave down before you unload. If you have a subsonic filter, it'd be a good idea to use it just to be on the safe side, but tuned to 32.5 you should be able to get down to a hair under 24hz just fine.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Thanks for the input!

I was actually considering doing that too (using the baffle depth for adding external port length) but wasn't sure if that would be the best option.

I wanted to at least make sure I had the general idea of how everything was supposed to look in Torres.

I'm going to make some adjustments and I'll post the final design when finished.

Thanks again!

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Thanks for the input!

I was actually considering doing that too (using the baffle depth for adding external port length) but wasn't sure if that would be the best option.

I wanted to at least make sure I had the general idea of how everything was supposed to look in Torres.

I'm going to make some adjustments and I'll post the final design when finished.

Thanks again!

Dammit, remember what I said about being boneheaded. Your 4 front baffles are part of your port length. I'd still change the port to be partially external to get 6" of clearance from the port to the back wall, but you're not far off.

Jesus I need to drink more coffee before I start giving enclosure advice.

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

NP. I was still recuperating from quite the bachelor party this morning. After I reread what I'd wrote, I SMH and corrected myself.

Build Thread

Thanks for the input!

Thanks again!

Dammit, remember what I said about being boneheaded. Your 4 front baffles are part of your port length. I'd still change the port to be partially external to get 6" of clearance from the port to the back wall, but you're not far off.

Jesus I need to drink more coffee before I start giving enclosure advice.

That is actually a 5 layer baffle since 4 are extra layers. :)

Pretty close to being done with the final dimensions.....

How does this look? (remember, I'm going to be running likely around 10k total after rise, etc.)

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658/magillaru/AlmostFinalBox_zpsbff818b5.png

EDIT: eh, nevermind....just realized the port clearance is off. JoeX, feel free to take over and hook me up with solid dimensions!

The only thing I haven't added is bracing. I'm going to be using all threaded rods (2 front to back, 1 going from each side panel, and then 1 from each port wall to closest side panel).

Question (might be a dumb question but I want to be sure):

What unit of measurement am I using to enter into torres to account for the displacement of the threaded rods?

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Bump for some help from Joe x or other experienced builders.

I tried making some changes using external port but can't get the tuning right while maintaining net volume.

Would really appreciate some help!

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Archived