Second Skin Audio

Info on trunk box?

evermaxx

In my Toyota Corolla I tried facing my subs to the cabin with the seats down and it was considerably louder when faced towards the trunk. I would suggest facing them towards the trunk and closer to they are to the back of the trunk, the better.

In my Toyota Corolla I tried facing my subs to the cabin with the seats down and it was considerably louder when faced towards the trunk. I would suggest facing them towards the trunk and closer to they are to the back of the trunk, the better.

Unless you sealed it off the only reason it was louder was because you were getting cancellation. meaning the note were entering the cabin out of phase with each other causing your bass output to be reduced greatly. Facing them toward the rear causes one set of sound wave to reflect of the rear of the trunk and join with the second set of waves going toward the cabin. Facing the front of the car without sealing the box causes problems.

OP, if you're dead set on firing into the cabin, I would definitely recommend sealing the trunk off around the box. IMO, walled trunks are louder than the ports and subs firing back so if you are willing to do the work, it would be worth it. Would go like 6" from the closest part of the seat back, leaving room for loading when the seats are up. Tons of tutorials on here regarding sealing trunk walls, etc.

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

I'll take pictures of my tear down for you, how it was originally planned(woulda worked with different amp placement) was the 60 seat could stay up while the 40 seat was down. Ended up opposite, still played great. Actually had better low end response that way.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I'll take pictures of my tear down for you, how it was originally planned(woulda worked with different amp placement) was the 60 seat could stay up while the 40 seat was down. Ended up opposite, still played great. Actually had better low end response that way.

if you could thatd be awesome dude.

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch

Man....it makes a nice work bench ;)

if you could thatd be awesome dude.

it'll hopefully happen this weekend if not early next week. Broke my trunk latch...again. Gotta get it from the inside. Ohwell, going from 1 15 to 2 10's.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Some people need to stop trying help without the knowledge or experience to properly do so.

Evermaxx, 50cal will point you in the right direction. If you have the time, go through my old trunk builds. I have one with the box right t the back seats, and one with the box pushed back. The latter has a collar/tunnel from the box to the seat opening, with sealing panels built around that. Ill search for pics after I get back from the gas station.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Some people need to stop trying help without the knowledge or experience to properly do so.

Evermaxx, 50cal will point you in the right direction. If you have the time, go through my old trunk builds. I have one with the box right t the back seats, and one with the box pushed back. The latter has a collar/tunnel from the box to the seat opening, with sealing panels built around that. Ill search for pics after I get back from the gas station.

Who's trying to help with no knowledge or experience? All I did was state two facts, when firing forward he should seal around the box and the subs shouldn't be TOO close to the seat backs. So my advice was pretty knowledgeable, not sure about anyone else's....

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

Archived