ToNasty Posted October 21, 2014 Report Posted October 21, 2014 Not at all, plus i doubt you can fit 2 18s ported in a trunk ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
Eric0817 Posted October 21, 2014 Author Report Posted October 21, 2014 @Jk13 but even though it would be unsealing I should still get a decent amount of spl right? Because it would be ported, and a good amount of air would come thru the port and not the lid?
ToNasty Posted October 21, 2014 Report Posted October 21, 2014 @Jk13 but even though it would be unsealing I should still get a decent amount of spl right? Because it would be ported, and a good amount of air would come thru the port and not the lid? you really need to figure out what you want. You arent making any sense man ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
jk13 Posted October 21, 2014 Report Posted October 21, 2014 No, there are similar pressures inside a ported box as there are in a sealed box. Would be like making a 1" sided box and then putting a 1/4" rear wall on it. Static drops are my bag.
Jessica Posted October 21, 2014 Report Posted October 21, 2014 if you are wanting to do what you are trying you will have to at the very least buid a "top" for the enclosure so you dont have to worry about the trunk lid flexing. if you did that you could fiberglass the hell out of the rest of the trunk and use it as the box. my question is do you have enough height at the seats to stand a 18" speaker upright? Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Eric0817 Posted October 21, 2014 Author Report Posted October 21, 2014 @ToNasty jk13 knows what I mean, I can't really describe it anymore I've never seen or heard anyone do it, but jk13 you mean it would be like having an uneven box with different thickness walls?
jk13 Posted October 21, 2014 Report Posted October 21, 2014 No, I mean you could never make it as solid as it needs to be to perform like a decent box. Picture a box where the rear corners flap open from the pressure at high volumes. That's what the trunk lid will do. Unless you're doing this for a specific reason (show stopping trunk install, putting groceries inside the "box", torturing small mammals, etc.) I see it as being a "good for what it is" situation at best. Like all the guys that run crap equipment say, if you know what I mean. With all the time, materials, and figuring it would take to make this sound just o.k. you could build a solid ported box in the trunk and have it easily perform better, provided you have the proper space for those subs. Static drops are my bag.
Eric0817 Posted October 21, 2014 Author Report Posted October 21, 2014 A big part of it is for looks, I don't want a big box because the way my car is set up, right now I have 2 12's in a ported which weigh about 50 pounds, and if I'm lucky I can get 1 person in the back without rubbing, so that's my issue. And I still need to be able to fit bodies in there hahaha. But ya like I don't want it to sound like 30 watts on a 6.5 but like at lease a decent amount not the full
Eric0817 Posted October 21, 2014 Author Report Posted October 21, 2014 @strangeduck I'm not too sure, I'm 7 hours away from home in a plane and cant really measure, but the way my trunk is I can make it work if I have the space or not
jk13 Posted October 21, 2014 Report Posted October 21, 2014 I get what you're saying, like I said I've had the setup and probably will again someday. It's just with your equipment list you are on a level too far for this to work well. Two 18s--fine, but with 3500 watts you better be very careful with the volume knob until you get the setup just right. Additional latches, bracing, maybe even some hood pins in the corners of the trunk lid could be required. My 3 12s on 1000+ watts was just touching 130dB. Once the trunk unloads it just won't get any louder. Nice to listen to but not impressive for volume. Same subs in a box, same amp, same meter, different car was 140+. Just be aware of what you'll be leaving on the table. Mine was not built to be loud. I ran plenty of power to control the subs, but not 3500... Static drops are my bag.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.