Sundown Audio

Digital Designs M2b amp

Jerry Fang

Hey guys,

I recently bought a brand new M2b amp from my local dealer and yesterday, I went and clamp my amp to see how much it push out.. on DD website, they list the M2b @ 1700watt@1ohm on 12v, 2400watt@1ohm on 14.4v.

My setup. 2014 Pioneer AVH-X4600BT, DD M2b, 1 sundown SA8v2-d4 in a .9cu slot port box tune to 36hz, a small 600ca amp battery, on a stock 130a honda alternator. The sub is wired @ 2ohm. I got my clamp on the + speaker cable close to the amp as possible, my DDM on the speaker terminals. Played a 36hz sine wave via PA Tone through bluetooth and got a reading of 13.1A and 60.1Vac that about 787watt and impedance rise is 4.587ohm. This is my first time ever clamping an amp. Does this sound correct to u guys?? If that correct, then the M2b amp does about 750watt @ 4ohm on 13.4v. I've have system in the pass, but this be my first time to actually getting into system and doing clamp testing. Tell me what u guys think.. thanks.

picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nwout62h7y2bv7/20141022_110215.jpg?dl=0

what did the amm-1 / ad-1 say?

far as i know clamping is a total crap shoot

I'm not sure what is amm-1 or ad-1 is but my clamp read 13.1A and my voltage meter reads 60.1vac. So I multiply (IxV) I got 787.31watt then I divided (v÷I) I got 4.587ohm for impedance rise. I'm not sure if its accurate or not, but thats what I came up with. I got that measurements on the first sec of a 36hz tone.

in my opinion that sounds pretty accurate.

industry standard (for MWSPL) is to use Fluke clamp meters and DMMs.

i've noticed that many other companies clamps/dmms will be off slightly, but for the most part, are in the ball park.

but anyways, rising to ~4.6ohms and clamping 787w isnt bad

'08 Chevy Cobalt coupe 2.2 base model trunk build:

2 9512iSC flatwound alum 1.5 coils

-extra 9500 spider pack

-8" platinum carbon dustcaps

1 DD Z1 (.375ohm nominally daily)

3g31 AGM

320a Ohio Gen alt

1 DD S4 4 channel

4 VO-M8v1's (holes cut for 3rd pair)

2 CS 6.5's

2 VO-B1's

Sony XAV-601BT

all Knu Krystal RCA's

Cadence 7band EQ

148.3db @ 32hz (burp)

148.4 @ 37 & 38hz (burp)

146.xdb 90sec average (center windshield)

You're clamping the right way but what you are getting is Va not watts, in order to get watts you'd need to know the phase angle.

Still your probably in the ballpark if you're really going to get into audio and you have the money pick up an amm1

http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-audio-multimeter-amm-1.html

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You're clamping the right way but what you are getting is Va not watts, in order to get watts you'd need to know the phase angle.

Still your probably in the ballpark if you're really going to get into audio and you have the money pick up an amm1

http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-audio-multimeter-amm-1.html

Yea.. I hella want that SMD handheld amp dyno. I was gonna get one, but my work has cut short so I got laid off. So right now, I'm collecting unemployment at the moment. As soon as I find work. I'm going to get me one for sure. Its only $399 for the handheld dyno, better than the AD-1 that cost about $3k.. lol

in my opinion that sounds pretty accurate.

industry standard (for MWSPL) is to use Fluke clamp meters and DMMs.

i've noticed that many other companies clamps/dmms will be off slightly, but for the most part, are in the ball park.

but anyways, rising to ~4.6ohms and clamping 787w isnt bad

Yea, Originally, i had 1 SA8v2-d2 running before. And the other day I bought another 3 SA8v2 off of Craigslist for a steal, but they are dual 4s so I can only use 3 of the sub or recone my d2 to a d4 so I can run all 4 together. But thay has to wait. Tomorrow, I'll hook up all 3 sub and wire it at .66ohm and clamp it again at .66ohm and see how much it'll push.

side note* is there a way to lower the impedance rise??

Archived