rhedreen Posted November 1, 2014 Report Posted November 1, 2014 I have been out of the stereo game for about 20 years and really never thought I would look back. My Xterra came with the Rockford Fosgate system which I thought sounded great for the last 5 years. Fast forward to 3 months ago, my buddy gave me a 10" sub w/box. I dug out an old Orion Xtreme 400 amp that was buried in the garage and hooked it up. Man I couldn't believe how much I missed that low end punch! So I put together a simple build, but no matter how I had tried to keep the stock system (speakers/HU), I found myself needing to replace all or some. My wife already thought I was crazy for doing anything, so i put my budget at $1500ish. Kicked around a few different brands, but ultimately settled on: Pioneer x9600bhs RF r400-4d JL C5-075ct tweets stock front door 6.9s (more on these later) Soundstream PN4.320D (yea I know, but it was cheap?) stock rear door 6.5 comp RF r1200-1d 2x RF P3D4-15 1/0 pwr/gnd stock alt 110a The X. Duplicolor bed armor on front, back, side strips and top (why did they ever use grey?? Also fixed the spots where the white has been flaking off, so much better now) Subs. Box was a PITA to get in the vehicle. So I got it all in and was dissapointed in the mid bass. I noticed Xxxterra's build and saw how he crammed 8" mids behind the front factory door cover, so that is where I am today. Just got the RF PPS4-8s in and have been fitting the mounts. Should be done tomorrow. Amps under passenger seat. Not pretty, but you only see the outside edges with the seats in. ;-) It isn't perfect nor all that pretty, but was relatively cheap and (hopefully) will sound great with the mid fill these RFs bring. This forum has been a lifesaver, THANKS Everyone!!! Ryan Dirty White 05' Xterra HU: Pioneer x9600bhs Front: RF R400-4D JL C5-075ct tweets RF PPS4-8 mids Subs: RF r1200-1d RF P3D4-15 x2
bcbrassard Posted November 1, 2014 Report Posted November 1, 2014 nice budget build. They are always a fun challenge. Looks like you got alot of bang for your bucks.
Tecomah Posted November 1, 2014 Report Posted November 1, 2014 Nice job man. Looks like installing is just like riding a bike. 750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY Team Subsonic Lows
SMZ2 Posted November 1, 2014 Report Posted November 1, 2014 Looks great man! I love seeing other xterra builds too! My Build Log!http://www.stevemead...nissan-xterror/ Check the Youtube Channel for Updates!http://www.youtube....ser/Xterror2002And Seller Feedbackhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/163179-bought-from-smz2/#entry2363713
rhedreen Posted November 2, 2014 Author Report Posted November 2, 2014 Thanks guys, she needs a bath inside and out badly! Still trying to decide what to do in the rear, I had planned to fit 1/4 wood covered in grey to match the lower panels in the car so that the box looked like it fit perfectly. /shrug The Rockford mids fit like a glove in the door panels (see below). They sound really good just running on high pass (around 90hz). I had picked up a cheap bandpass crossover that I was going to install that would allow me to set low pass at 4k hz (speaker fq range 80-5k hz), think it will sound better with those highs cut out? Dirty White 05' Xterra HU: Pioneer x9600bhs Front: RF R400-4D JL C5-075ct tweets RF PPS4-8 mids Subs: RF r1200-1d RF P3D4-15 x2
hifonix Posted November 3, 2014 Report Posted November 3, 2014 Did your friend know giving you a 10" sub would lead to this ? Very possible I think. Under Construction
bcbrassard Posted November 3, 2014 Report Posted November 3, 2014 Are those in the rear doors? Can you hear much midbass from them?
bcbrassard Posted November 3, 2014 Report Posted November 3, 2014 Ya i say go grey so it matches interior.
rhedreen Posted November 3, 2014 Author Report Posted November 3, 2014 Did your friend know giving you a 10" sub would lead to this ? Very possible I think. HA, lurker. Yea I blame you (so does the wife)! Finally got her in the car this week, wish I had been running a video, her expression on a sine sweep was priceless. Are those in the rear doors? Can you hear much midbass from them? They are in the front doors and sound really good in the 100-400hz range. I love "feeling" a good drum solo! Still have factory components in the rears (sure they will get upgraded in the near future /sigh). I decided to at least hook up the active crossover tomorrow to see if it sounds better with the 4k hz low pass. Dirty White 05' Xterra HU: Pioneer x9600bhs Front: RF R400-4D JL C5-075ct tweets RF PPS4-8 mids Subs: RF r1200-1d RF P3D4-15 x2
bcbrassard Posted November 3, 2014 Report Posted November 3, 2014 Nice... front doors are better for that anyway. Glad its all coming together.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.