Mixing Different Sub Sizes

James Scullin

Hello all, I hope I have this post in the right place.

I want to first apologize in advance if I'm not understanding a fundamental issue with my question.

I know mixing different sub sizes is apparently wrong. In all my searching on the internet I cant seem to find out why/ how to overcome this.

Here is my issue. I have 2 OA 18s tuned to 28hz, and they dont py much over around 70 hz.

So my thought was to have the head units sub line low passed at ~120hz, have the 18s amp low passed at 70hz, and add a pair of 12s (or something) high passed at 70hz.

That (to me) would make sense. I have heard some things about phasing, and subs canceling each other out, or the 18s outshining other smaller subs, and at this point I wanted to ask the forum that i have followed for a long time (but never became a member of for some reason).

If it helps here's my system:

'05 Suburban

2 250 amp alts

3 3100 xs batts

all knu wiring

2 pair re audio xxx 6.5 components

each pair powered by a jl 360/2

2 pair of infinity kappas