Sundown Audio

Amplifier Trouble Shooting Issues

Dominique Jacob Redlin

if your really set on upgrading to another amp dont get another of the one you have. it really is true that cheap and good for your money are almost always garbage. i learned that the hard way trying to purchase boss and crunch amplifiers wich both quite working shortly after purchase. also what kind of wire are you using? if your using boss or other cheap wiring your in for trouble. that stuff is a joke. knukonceptz makes good qaulity wire that is a good price. also if you have 125 bucks to spend on a crappy amp why not get a pioneer 800 watt rms monoblock? they are good qaulity, the same price, come with the bass knob most kids love, and beleive it or not the pioneer will blow your "4000" watt amp out of the water. i dont know a whole lot about earthquake subs but you could probly get better for the same price or a little more. i know 20 or 30 dollars more per sub seems like a lot when ur poor but when you dont have to replace your equipment every few months to a year you will be thankfull you spent the extra. try soundqubed or american bass subs. you want a real bang for your buck they have got it. also if you do wanna go to 0 gauge wire execution audio has a sell on ebay of 50 foot of 0 gauge for 60 bucks. worried about building your own box? they make aeroports that you cut and assemble and place into a sealed box that you build to ported specs. its as simple as building a big sealed box and cutting a whole in it. i hope we on the forum have been helpfull and that you decide to take most of the people on heres advice. also please please please stay away from BOSS, LANZAR, PYLE, PYRAMID, and any other really cheap products claiming to produce ridiculous wattage.

if your really set on upgrading to another amp dont get another of the one you have. it really is true that cheap and good for your money are almost always garbage. i learned that the hard way trying to purchase boss and crunch amplifiers wich both quite working shortly after purchase. also what kind of wire are you using? if your using boss or other cheap wiring your in for trouble. that stuff is a joke. knukonceptz makes good qaulity wire that is a good price. also if you have 125 bucks to spend on a crappy amp why not get a pioneer 800 watt rms monoblock? they are good qaulity, the same price, come with the bass knob most kids love, and beleive it or not the pioneer will blow your "4000" watt amp out of the water. i dont know a whole lot about earthquake subs but you could probly get better for the same price or a little more. i know 20 or 30 dollars more per sub seems like a lot when ur poor but when you dont have to replace your equipment every few months to a year you will be thankfull you spent the extra. try soundqubed or american bass subs. you want a real bang for your buck they have got it. also if you do wanna go to 0 gauge wire execution audio has a sell on ebay of 50 foot of 0 gauge for 60 bucks. worried about building your own box? they make aeroports that you cut and assemble and place into a sealed box that you build to ported specs. its as simple as building a big sealed box and cutting a whole in it. i hope we on the forum have been helpfull and that you decide to take most of the people on heres advice. also please please please stay away from BOSS, LANZAR, PYLE, PYRAMID, and any other really cheap products claiming to produce ridiculous wattage.

Is that how you build a box? Never new it was that easy, so build a big sealed box and cut a hole in it and throw some aeros in them just as long as the sealed box is built to ported specs...got it...thanks

I'd avoid any advice from this person also.... :popcorn:

You don't just build a big sealed box to ported specs cut a hole in it and throw an aero port on/in the box. That's not how it works. Your box should be built AROUND YOUR SUBWOOFERS RECOMMENDED SPECS! Also to someone just learning the very basic elements of car audio (such as the OP) do not suggest aero ported boxes, especially when YOU don't even know how to do them correctly. Start off with something more basic like a typical slot port or sealed box.

For the power he wants to run he does not need zero gauge wiring at all and 50 feet for 60 bucks is very cheap CCA and not OFC which if you need 0 gauge you're better off getting some quality OFC like KnuKonceptz or SkyHigh.

Also I'm not sure if your first language is English (I'm leaning towards no) but when I'm taking advice from people I always look at how their grammar is. If you're using "whole" instead of "hole" or misspelling "helpful" I usually tend to avoid taking that advice.

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

wow must be that time of the year that all the nit picks and dick heads are poppin up. cant misspell any words or give any generalizations at all. everything you say must be precise and must contain a 500 page essay on how to do it. forgot to add the aeroports you buy from precision sound come with directions on how to use them and just gave a generalization of the box building process. not everyone is looking for competition grade sound or precision on craftsmanship.

also i dont see how i do not know how to speak english even though i only misspelled one word and misused one word and the fact that i supposedly know nothing of building boxes when all you did was basically take what i had said and reworded it. sorry i didnt word that perfectly for you.

the execution audio 0 gauge is actually decent, correct gauge wire. true it is cca but this guy is supposedly running multiple amps on 8 gauge. the 50 ft spools are leftover from a closeout sale. at a safe 250 amp load this wire is more than enough to do what the OP wants to do. and at a price he will probably be more likely to accept is a deal since it seems he is budget oriented.

I'd avoid any advice from this person also.... :popcorn:

You don't just build a big sealed box to ported specs cut a hole in it and throw an aero port on/in the box. That's not how it works. Your box should be built AROUND YOUR SUBWOOFERS RECOMMENDED SPECS! Also to someone just learning the very basic elements of car audio (such as the OP) do not suggest aero ported boxes, especially when YOU don't even know how to do them correctly. Start off with something more basic like a typical slot port or sealed box.

For the power he wants to run he does not need zero gauge wiring at all and 50 feet for 60 bucks is very cheap CCA and not OFC which if you need 0 gauge you're better off getting some quality OFC like KnuKonceptz or SkyHigh.

Also I'm not sure if your first language is English (I'm leaning towards no) but when I'm taking advice from people I always look at how their grammar is. If you're using "whole" instead of "hole" or misspelling "helpful" I usually tend to avoid taking that advice.

Actually, an aero port box would probably be the best bet and easiest for the OP to build as a first box. A slot port takes a lot of practice and good cuts to do right.

• 1 month later...

*Update*

I ran a 4 gauge for power, and ground. Another issue pops up. My in-line fuse block started to melt. So i disconnect the fuse block and replace it with a different fuse block with a 150a fuse but after replacing the fuse, I get power but no sound and then about a minute later my amp starts smoking. I disconnected it and haven't touched it since. What could have caused this, and is my amp completely fried now? If so, what would you recommend for replacement amps. I'm open for suggestions. Thanks.

2000 Blazer LS

Head Unit- Pioneer DEH-X6600BT

Speakers- 4 x Pioneer TS-A1685R

Amplifiers- Autotek Mean Machine M4000.1

- Pyramid America 2000 watts

Power Caps- Boss Cap 8.0 Farad

8 Gauge Ground and Power wire

Subwookers- Two 15 inch Earthquake Tremor-X154

- Two 10 inch Boss P106DVC

Archived