rsw007 Posted November 15, 2014 Report Posted November 15, 2014 I just picked up a ts-w253 pioneer sub in a box that is .82cf and it sounds ok but needs a bigger amp. my dumb question is could I go old school and do two 1" dia approx. 5" long pvc ports to port the box that small to drive it with the current amp I have. this is for my teenage son I just bought him a s-10 truck. thanks and sorry for being ignorant. im from back when they invented the sony cdxr7 and cdx r88 lol
cloud77 Posted November 15, 2014 Report Posted November 15, 2014 so the current box is sealed and you want to cut holes in it and vent it? 2004 Grand Prix GT (2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2) 5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz MMATS HD4000.05 MMATS SQ4100 Infinity Kappa components Juice Box black cherry Duralast platinum group 34 1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding Singer 250A
rsw007 Posted November 15, 2014 Author Report Posted November 15, 2014 if possible yes. it sounds good now on low rap music but not on punchy bass like pop and country. like to sacrifice the rap bass for some punchy bass plus if I remember correct it takes less wattage to drive a sub in ported box then sealed. the guy I bought it from had 2.5x the amp I have. but I only paid $20 bucks for sub and box so its hard to complain. thanks again for any input. been out of this stuff for 20 years. last real system I had consisted of 3 punch 45's driving two sets of component mb quarts and one driving a single 15. in 1990
rockFord_Expedition Posted November 15, 2014 Report Posted November 15, 2014 Although not optimal you can probably get away with that. Probably your cheapest way to increase output in a given frequency range. With openings that small you'll probably have alot of port noise. It's not what I would do, I wouldn't recommend it, but I think I see where you're trying to go and it might be worth a try. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
rockFord_Expedition Posted November 15, 2014 Report Posted November 15, 2014 Cutting holes in the box will not increase sound quality or make the bass any more "punchy" Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Hotdog Posted November 15, 2014 Report Posted November 15, 2014 you could try different amounts of poly-fill in the box to achieve something more to your liking. (NEW) 2004 F-150 Build Log -->http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192208-hotdogs-f-150-build-log/ 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Build Log --> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114380-hotdogs-2003-mountaineer-build-log-20-removed/page__gopid__1602379#entry1602379 2008 Equinox Build Log --> http://www.stevemead...g/#entry1475764
rsw007 Posted November 15, 2014 Author Report Posted November 15, 2014 could I do a different port size to help? current box demenions are 9.5" top 12" bottom 14" wide 14" tall looks to be 3/4 material that's why I was thinking two 1" ports approx. 5" long in top going down each side of sub.
rsw007 Posted November 15, 2014 Author Report Posted November 15, 2014 could I do a different port size to help? current box demenions are 9.5" top 12" bottom 14" wide 14" tall looks to be 3/4 material that's why I was thinking two 1" ports approx. 5" long in top going down each side of sub.
Hotdog Posted November 15, 2014 Report Posted November 15, 2014 do something like this and port it to the driver side. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xscorpion-AP3-5-AeroPort-3-Molded-10-12-Subwoofer-Sub-Box-Enclosure-Port-/361113486052? (NEW) 2004 F-150 Build Log -->http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192208-hotdogs-f-150-build-log/ 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Build Log --> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114380-hotdogs-2003-mountaineer-build-log-20-removed/page__gopid__1602379#entry1602379 2008 Equinox Build Log --> http://www.stevemead...g/#entry1475764
Team Bassick - Kimo Posted November 18, 2014 Report Posted November 18, 2014 Did you cut the box yet? if not, I would just build a different box. I assume it is a truck box in a single cab. If so a box with at least 1.5 cubes with a corner loaded port would give you the best output and efficiency. If built correctly and based on power you could possible use 1/2" wood to give you more air space. I personally would not but, seeing how this is a pioneer speaker we are talking about it should be fine. KIMO @teambassick http://www.teambassick.com
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.