Second Skin Audio

Port area question

GorillaFIngeRs

I am curious if that size aeroport would be sufficient. I tried using this port size calculator and it says a 6.6" port at like 36" long. Just confused.

I would also like to know where I should place the port from your guys experience should it just sit left of the speaker facing forward, or side firing. Does that even matter?

I just picked up a symphony S1500 so I am going to be running 1000w to it. 16hx26wx18L is the space i have available. If someone wanted to design something that would be cool. Are aeroports even the way to go?

My goal is to not destroy this sub (which was my fault the first time) and to have it in a box that sounds good on all diff types of music.

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4
1/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground

1/0 Sky High Big 3 Upgrade
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

A single 4" aero port is not going to be anywhere near enough IMHO. A 6" or two 4" would be more appropriate. Around the tuning frequency pretty much all the output comes out of that port/s, handicapping yourself by not using enough port area is just throwing your money away.

As far as aero ports being the way to go, properly sized and implemented aero ports, slot ports, or any other kind of port will all get the job done well. The different styles each have their own advantages and disadvantages though these differences mostly pertain to how they are implemented, not their performance.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

At 6" torres says i would need a 32" long aeroport. Unless im using it wrong which is very likely haha. what would you do?

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

Ok I will check that out tomorrow on Torres. With two ports that size and tuned at 32hz do the highs still hit? I have a buddy with a w7 and it sounds great when it hits low but on the highs they were almost noon existent at times. Don't have any good setups to compare to other than that. I do know you give up some high end when tuning lower but just curious bout you guys experiences.

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

Torres says for two 4" ports it would still need to be 29" long. I dont have that much room so i guess im going slotted port. What would you recommend for a port width. I know the manual says 12.5x1 is ideal but do you guys suggest I go bigger that the 1" width? What about volume? I was thinking around 2cuft. would that be too big?

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

Wouldnt the port have to be crazy long at that size. Even at 25" long the box would be tuned at 41hz....

If anyone is willing it would be cool to get a design.

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

The important thing about ports is the area, in your case you want to be around 24 - 28 sq in. Really you can use any dimensions you want as long as you keep the area right, however high aspect ratio ports (like 16" x 1.5" or 12" x 1") are much less efficient. I try to keep the aspect ratio at less than 5:1 and the closer to square the better.

A 29" long port isn't really that long. If you can't fit it in a straight shot, you just have it curve around the inside of the box until you get the length you need.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived