GorillaFIngeRs Posted November 22, 2014 Report Posted November 22, 2014 I have a Type-R that want to build a box for and I put the dimensions into the torres box calculator. I have the tuning all where I want it but cant find the info I need to determine whether I have too much or too little Port area per foot. Does anyone know what it should be or have an idea where i can find that info. I am thinking of building a new box, the one I have is built to spec according to the shop i bought it from (its not a prefab box). I think around 2sqft would be good from what I've read, any input is appreciated. Thanks guys. It is the 1000w type r, swr-12d4 AQ3500.115" Fi SP41/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground 1/0 Sky High Big 3 UpgradePioneer AVH-4200NEXXS Power D1200 Underhood Intimidator Gel In Trunk CES 250A Alternator
reedal Posted November 22, 2014 Report Posted November 22, 2014 information about the sub is pretty vital SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
GorillaFIngeRs Posted November 22, 2014 Author Report Posted November 22, 2014 information about the sub is pretty vital Yeah. The manual doesn't say. Thats why I'm asking. Trying to get the information. Thanks for the input. AQ3500.115" Fi SP41/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground 1/0 Sky High Big 3 UpgradePioneer AVH-4200NEXXS Power D1200 Underhood Intimidator Gel In Trunk CES 250A Alternator
reedal Posted November 22, 2014 Report Posted November 22, 2014 The manual doesnt tell you what size the sub is? Hope you have a tape measure. Or at least a ruler SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
reedal Posted November 22, 2014 Report Posted November 22, 2014 That's better. Generally, the rule of thumb from what I've seen from every time this question has been asked (so i'm assuming you didnt search for an answer before posting) is 12-16in^2 per cubic foot of your enclosure. But this is a current thread that i would have thought might catch your eye puts a different perspective on it. Read up http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193374-port-area-clarification/?hl=how+much+port+area#entry2894489 SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 22, 2014 Report Posted November 22, 2014 They do give port area in the manual, but they don't just come out and say it. If you look under their recommended box size they list a port a 12.5" x 1" tuned to 35 hz per sub. However this is a good example of why the manufacturer doesn't always give out the best info. Manufacturers know that subs that fit in small, easy to build boxes sell better so that's what they recommend, regardless of if its going to perform best or not. In this case I'd recommend 25-30 sq in per sub (twice what Alpine says) and I'd probably tune to 32 Hz, but that's more of a personal preference thing. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Ritch40 Posted November 24, 2014 Report Posted November 24, 2014 I used to be very strict about going by manufacture specs. However, these days, i take a look at what they suggest for enclosure volume and that's about it. I have had very good results to my ear in my vehicles just by playing around with modeling software and learning how to translate what i see on my screen into how it will sound in the vehicles i have. As triticum said, Manufactures have reasons why they post the specs they do, and it most times is NOT how the sub will sound best.
GorillaFIngeRs Posted December 3, 2014 Author Report Posted December 3, 2014 Given this info if I wanted to build a box with an aeroport I could build a box to 2.0cuft, and put in an aeroport that is 4" in diameter and 13" long this would tune the box to about 32hz according to torres box calc. Please help im looking to build this box very soon. I dont know what the port velocity or any of that should be so I'm mostly looking for help just building a simple aeroport enclosure that is as efficient as possible. AQ3500.115" Fi SP41/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground 1/0 Sky High Big 3 UpgradePioneer AVH-4200NEXXS Power D1200 Underhood Intimidator Gel In Trunk CES 250A Alternator
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 3, 2014 Report Posted December 3, 2014 Given this info if I wanted to build a box with an aeroport I could build a box to 2.0cuft, and put in an aeroport that is 4" in diameter and 13" long this would tune the box to about 32hz according to torres box calc. Please help im looking to build this box very soon. I dont know what the port velocity or any of that should be so I'm mostly looking for help just building a simple aeroport enclosure that is as efficient as possible. What exactly are you asking for? Do you want a design or do you have specific questions you need answered? If you want a design we are going to need to know the max dimensions, what you are going to power it with, what your goals are, etc. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
hispls Posted December 3, 2014 Report Posted December 3, 2014 Given this info if I wanted to build a box with an aeroport I could build a box to 2.0cuft, and put in an aeroport that is 4" in diameter and 13" long this would tune the box to about 32hz according to torres box calc. Please help im looking to build this box very soon. I dont know what the port velocity or any of that should be so I'm mostly looking for help just building a simple aeroport enclosure that is as efficient as possible. I think 4" flared port should be adequate for a single 12" woofer. I've mostly used winISD for modeling so I can't vouch for torres, though I haven't heard anyone say it gives the wrong calculations.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.