Second Skin Audio

box suggestions for sundown x 15

gmoxley1

So I'm getting a sundown x 15 soon and was trying to come up with a box for it and have a few questions. I was told that they hit lows in smaller enclosures as well as larger ones but tend to lack above 40hz in huge boxes. I have a box planned that before displacements, is right at 4 cubes (4.09) tuned to just above 30 with 58 square inches of port ( I used re box calculator as well as the calculator on the12volt). I'm running it on a SAZ-1200d so just around rated.

I'm looking for hard hitting lows with respectable 40-55hz range. So I'm not picky about hitting high notes hard.

Does anyone else have any box suggestions or tips or anything? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks

Greg

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

The X-series subs generally have a large peak in output around tuning, this is what makes them kill the lows. If you put them in a box on the smaller side of things it will decrease this peak, making the higher bass notes sound louder relative the low stuff. This does cost you a little bit of low end efficiency, so it depends on what your priorities are.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Don't use re, I made that mistake once and built a box off of it's specs. Download Torres and model it up, it gets you close.

I would love to use Torres but I have a mac :-( that's why I used re and the12volt calcs. And I didn't want to be a bother by asking someone to design one for me on here.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

The X-series subs generally have a large peak in output around tuning, this is what makes them kill the lows. If you put them in a box on the smaller side of things it will decrease this peak, making the higher bass notes sound louder relative the low stuff. This does cost you a little bit of low end efficiency, so it depends on what your priorities are.

Thanks! That's what I had heard from others as well. So what would be considered a small, medium, or large enclosure?

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

These were my thoughts. The X series get low enough as it is, I'd tune more toward recommended specs. I believe these woofers need a minimum of 4.25 cu ft as well. If you're running an SAZ 1200 I'd go atleast 4.25 with a smidge more of port area...

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Sundown says the X series can work in as small a box as what the SA series uses so you should be able to go down as far as 3.0 cubic feet net, which is what I would lean more towards, but I like a flatter response and am willing to give up so low end output to get it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sundown says the X series can work in as small a box as what the SA series uses so you should be able to go down as far as 3.0 cubic feet net, which is what I would lean more towards, but I like a flatter response and am willing to give up so low end output to get it.

Thanks for the info! Very helpful! My vehicle peaks in the mid 40s so it may help even it out if I go a little over 3 cuft.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Don't use re, I made that mistake once and built a box off of it's specs. Download Torres and model it up, it gets you close.

I would love to use Torres but I have a mac :-( that's why I used re and the12volt calcs. And I didn't want to be a bother by asking someone to design one for me on here.

Wouldn't be bothered to help you but if you want to give it a shot you can still run torres in a mac with virtualization software as virtualbox.

Archived