Second Skin Audio

Sound Quality Sub Question

I've heard good things about Morel, but I am not sure about JBL or Pioneer. The JBL MKII looks good, but is it not overpriced at all? Almost $400 bucks for seemingly just a name brand sub that can only handle 700wmrs. Forgive me if I am wrong.

If anything JBL is one of the best pioneers of the entire industry and out of anyone's products I would trust theirs the absolute most.

If you get the MKII you will most certainly not be unhappy.

Ok awesome! It is just at that price, I would only be able to get one sub and I would be hesitant to push more than 700wrms into it. I would like to get at least 1000wrms in my setup.

I've heard good things about Morel, but I am not sure about JBL or Pioneer. The JBL MKII looks good, but is it not overpriced at all? Almost $400 bucks for seemingly just a name brand sub that can only handle 700wmrs. Forgive me if I am wrong.

If anything JBL is one of the best pioneers of the entire industry and out of anyone's products I would trust theirs the absolute most.

If you get the MKII you will most certainly not be unhappy.

Ok awesome! It is just at that price, I would only be able to get one sub and I would be hesitant to push more than 700wrms into it. I would like to get at least 1000wrms in my setup.

I'm telling you, that sub will take more than that with no issues. If you wanna start with 700, cool, but once you feel safe with that, you can turn it up. That sub will take that whole amp that you have.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

My vote is for the CSS SDX12. Haven't heard that one personally, but love xbl^2 subs. Sitting on 7 xbl^2 motors/subs right now. That one should give you SQ. Some people don't like the sound of pure SQ subs though.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

Also want to say it's 1000W RMS. I contacted them a few months ago, but lost their reply.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

It wouldn't hurt to double check. It was a few months ago lol. The power handling is somewhat lower than other drivers because the coil isn't as large due to xbl^2, but should still be a solid performer. It ends up being an efficient driver with a flat BL curve. I personally prefer efficient drivers.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

4 DC M3 8s but im a DC nuthugger

Don't comment here again.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

OP: You won't hear a difference between 700W and 1kW RMS.

You might hear a SLIGHT difference between 700W and 1,400W.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived