Sundown Audio

Can I run an Alpine mrx-m 55 at 70-75% gain?

lane0914

Dd-1 just ordered mine

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

I'm all about using the DD-1 or o-scope like the rest of you, but one of those tools alone isn't going to help this guy do what he wants to do. Those tools only tell you when you are pushing your amp to its max, but if you want to put less than max power into your subs you have to be able to measure the output.

The cheapest and easiest way to set the output to not exceed a particular level is using something like the DMM method redwolf posted. I know that method isn't 100% accurate, but the advantage of it is you are always going to error on the safe side of things so you won't burn your subs up. The best way to do what this guy wants to do would be to use the DMM method to get where you want and then go back and check with a DD-1 or o-scope to make sure you aren't clipping at the level. Or you could do it the other way around and make sure you aren't clipping first and then turn your gain down from there to get the output you want.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Run it at 100%. You are going to do it anyways

I just looked up the specs on the amp, it only puts out 550 at 2 ohms anyway, so yeah, the OP should run that thing a full power (properly set with a DD-1 or o-scope) and he won't be coming anywhere near what that SA-12 can take.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Run it at 100%. You are going to do it anyways

I just looked up the specs on the amp, it only puts out 550 at 2 ohms anyway, so yeah, the OP should run that thing a full power (properly set with a DD-1 or o-scope) and he won't be coming anywhere near what that SA-12 can take.

Yes well you basically covered the answer I was looking for, I was curious if I would be damaging the amping/sub running at a higher gain level then half. I have a klein multimeter and my buddy has a FIEN multimeter so I think

It would be best to use a proper tool to measure for clipping when setting the gain for your amp. This would either be a dd1 or an ohmeter. However some people use the multimeter/math equation way if its all they got.

My headunit had 5v preouts and in order to reach maximum gain before clipping, I literally just barely turned the gain setting. My amp performed at the rated rms or close to it before impedance rise of course. It would help if you tell us what headunit you are using and its preout voltage and what tools you have if any to help you set the gain. It is frowned upon to use your ear to set the gain, just fair warning there.

The amps rating is set so that it puts out that rating based on the impedance it is presented with, regardless of the gain setting.

I have two multimeters from work, one is a klein from home depot and the other is a FIEN multimeter which for the set of two was a couple hundred dollars, Also my head unit is a pioneer avh-p3200dvd

Even if you are under powering your sub, clipping can make it heat up and seize. So it's not like a safeguard to under power the sub. Also those Alpine amps have been known to push out a good amount over rated... The MRV-M500 can get you around 650w @ 2OHM's, the MRX-M55 will likely out perform that. But it also depends if you are using OFC or CCA wire, it can be a 20% difference.

Archived