Is this enough power for my setup?

Rockford_expedition you should read from the first post, he said he is upgrading his alt first..... what the hell are you on about

Well I haven't purchased either yet, that is kind of the whole reason why I posted here about this...

Rockford_expedition you should read from the first post, he said he is upgrading his alt first..... what the hell are you on about

I am going to be pushing about 2500wrms in my setup. I calculated 2500w/14v to get about 179 amps. I am planning on upgrading my factory alt to a mechman 240amp one. Do you think this would be sufficient? Or would it be worth it to upgrade the front battery to a deep cycle like an XS Power batt too?

Side show, what did I say that you do not approve of? I could care less really, but I am sincerely all ears if you disagree with anything I said.

I contributed by providing fact and helping the OP go about calculating amperage needed the right way.

Well I haven't purchased either yet, that is kind of the whole reason why I posted here about this...

BAZINGA!

If you are going to consider a DC power alt I would give them a call rather than submit the online form. Even if you end up going with Mechman, I would still recommend that you speak to DC. Wouldn't hurt.

BAZINGA!

:lol2:

If you are going to consider a DC power alt I would give them a call rather than submit the online form. Even if you end up going with Mechman, I would still recommend that you speak to DC. Wouldn't hurt.

Sweet, I will def do that!

OP, sorry for rambling so much, but I really enjoy these types of conversations.

So to answer your question, your system needs approx 149A continuous to run at full potential on music. With an OEM alt rating of 60A you should allow for about 51A for your vehicle at full draw, like head lights, heater, etc..

149 + 51 = 200

If you had 200A of current available at all times at approx 14V then your vehicle and your system would be happy with or without a 2nd or upgraded battery.

But, at idle, would the 240amp alt be enough by itself? I feel like this is where the upgraded battery would be extremely useful.

As far as the info about the alt, I will defer to Mechman or someone that knows that specific alt well. Keep in mind that the info I am providing is at full load, like worst case scenario for your alt with system full tilt all accessories running etc. which is what we should be setup for right?

The only thing with DC power is a lot of people have been complaining about their customer service and length of time to receive stuff they paid for.

I personally have never had an issue with them as a matter of fact I found their customer service to be outstanding and the alts definitely perform.

Now if the customer service issue worries you go with mechman or singer you really can't go wrong with any of the three.

Me personally if I went anywhere besides dc it would be singer he seems to be a real stand up guy and you can't beat the warranty.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

OP, sorry for rambling so much, but I really enjoy these types of conversations.

So to answer your question, your system needs approx 149A continuous to run at full potential on music. With an OEM alt rating of 60A you should allow for about 51A for your vehicle at full draw, like head lights, heater, etc..

149 + 51 = 200

If you had 200A of current available at all times at approx 14V then your vehicle and your system would be happy with or without a 2nd or upgraded battery.

But, at idle, would the 240amp alt be enough by itself? I feel like this is where the upgraded battery would be extremely useful.

As far as the info about the alt, I will defer to Mechman or someone that knows that specific alt well. Keep in mind that the info I am providing is at full load, like worst case scenario for your alt with system full tilt all accessories running etc. which is what we should be setup for right?

Yeah, but chances are I won't have audio maxed out with everything else on the majority of the time though. But it doesn't hurt to accommodate for those instances anyways.

Archived