Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Building a 6th BP. Where to start learning.


Courage68

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all !

Ive got a old 12" FI BTL fully loaded thats been sitting in my room for like 4 years now and i want to put her in a 6th order bandpass box powered by a old kicker KX1200.1 mid 2000's model

Ive built my fair share of box's over the past 10 years but i would like to advance my knowledge past sealed and ported box's and guide me on how to properly design/tune the rear and front sides of the 6th order design

Or even quite possibly perhaps someone whos bored enough and wouldnt mind just figuring out the vas and port tune for both sides of the sub.

Much appreciated.

I will also follow up with build pictures and test results.

Posted

Here is some general info on 6th order BP boxes: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/6thorder.htm

I'd try modeling stuff in WinISD just to see what you can come up with.

Other than that, experimentation is probably going to be your best teacher. One suggestion I would make is to design your box so you can change the tunings if desired. That should make experimentation a lot easier.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Do the rear chamber the recommended ported airspace so there's cone control. You also can do small port area in the rear for cone control so you can tune the rear a little higher and still play below tuning. For the front, the airspace you do depends on how efficient/peaky you want it. The more airspace the peakier, I'd try around 1.5:1 or 2:1 ratio. As for tuning it's really preference, the rear is your low tuned side and the front is the high end. A lot of people say double your rear tuning for the front but I feel like that's too far apart and it'll create a valley between tunings in you bandwidth.

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Posted

6th are luck of the draw I feel. Build it and see what happens

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

Posted

I plugged your numbers in to WinISD and played around with it a bit. I have no personal experience with 6th BP boxes, but what you have seems pretty reasonable to me. I say build it and let us know how it turns out!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4861 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...