Sundown Audio

Difference Between Nightshade, X & Z series?

two differences are motor and suspension (spider count/stiffness).. IIrc it goes 4 (soft), 5(medium), 6(stiff) from the X to NSv3

what power do you have now?

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

I only run my SA-12 on a modest few hundred (around 300-350) watts. I do have a few high powered amps, but never got round to upgrading my cars charging system to make it feasible to install them.

Hands up, this is more about curiosity. I'm more and SQ person, and even the SA that I have is far too much for what I would want to use everyday .... but then I think; this could be a lot of fun ... and I need to do something with those amps, one of them being a Ground Zero http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/products/amplifiers_/gzua-2250dx.html

As for the Sundown's, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the X-8's. Never tried the SA-8 .. never had the need to what with my SA-12 in hand, but my thinking is 'scaling down from a 12" to an 8" or 2 x 8's, without sacrificing output/fun' In my dreams and I think my limit would be the X or Z 10..... but in the real world the SA-12 scares me enough! :cray:

So the likes of the 'Nightshade' and 'Team Series' should only be used at the top end of the scale ... serious competing, is that what you're saying?

The X, Z v.4, and NS v.3 all use the new frame platform & they all use the "Mega Roll" surround standard and the "linear" spider standard (SPL surround & SPL spiders are options for all). From this point the differences kick in on the rest of the driver :

X :

Power - 1250 RMS

Coil - 60mm long, 4-layer round CCAW wire

Spider - 4 layers, double leads

Motor - 66mm x 190mm magnet stack, 15mm thick top plate

Z v.4 :

Power - 1750 RMS

Coil - 65mm long, 8-layer flat Aluminum wire

Spider - 5 layers, double leads

Motor - 75mm x 220mm magnet stack, 30mm thick top plate

NS v.3 :

Power - 2500 RMS

Coil - 80mm long, 4-layer flat Aluminum wire

Spider - 6 layers, triple leads

Motor - 80mm x 250mm magnet stack, 45mm thick top plate

Motor force scales up as you go... usually gaining ~1dB or so at equal power per step & more maximum output due to more excursion.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

In my dreams and I think my limit would be the X or Z 10..... but in the real world the SA-12 scares me enough! :cray:

Matt as the owner of both an SA-12 on 1000 watts rms and a ZV.4 10 on an Saz 2500D both in boxes made to Sundown specs. I can vouch that both woofers are awesome, but the Z is just on its own level. I find it difficult to choose which one has better SQ to my ears. On paper it the Z is cleaner, but the sound is so different because its clean that some people don't like it. So, You just have to try it and see what you like. I will say that the SA-12 does not get anywhere near as low as the Z 10 hits. People think I must have at least two 15s or an 18 when they hear the it. AND in the end I wish i had gotten the Z 12 because the lows are so addicting.

Life's a trip. . . Don't fall.

• 3 months later...