Second Skin Audio

Looking for input

jpick

1.9 net before sub. After sub you will be looking at 1.7-1.8 net, unless you invert.

With that i would be looking at a sub that prefers a smaller box and that can handle 800-1200rms. Wire to 2ohms. Then you can buy a second wire to 1 ohm. Give then roughly 1k each. Use that amp to its fullest.

I came up with 1.9 using .4 cu for sub displacement, because I couldn't find the actual spec for the sub. Although I have had the sub inverted in this box, and it seemed a little louder and more powerful, just didn't like feeling that I was leaving it "exposed" to the open trunk area. Did make me consider building just a little bit bigger box though, just haven't yet. Really don't want to go to a smaller box, because I don't want real "punchy" bass. The day may come when I'm looking to go up from 1k to 2k, but for now, i think from 250 to 1k should hold me over for a bit, so going with the BC2000D, even when I step up to 2 subs at 1100 ish, I won't have the electrical strain that I would have pulling 2k at 1 ohm. That's the reasoning I'm using.

Edit: But the option of 2k ish watts readily available, by the time I got "numb" to the 500, then 1k sound, I will have had my money's worth a few times over on whichever sub I choose now. :)

I understand that.

Remember every sub has a different displacement.

So the box is 1.9 if sub displaced is.4

The box with out sub displacement considered is 2.3 net.

With 28" of port area.

So the sub to find is one that likes around 2 cu ft net and 28" of port that can handle 500-1k rms.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Right. And I think maybe that may be influencing me to keep looking at Sundown.

http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/subwoofers/item/sa-series.html

According to Sundown, the SA12 is only .14 cube displacement, putting me back to about 2.15 net, which is just barely larger than the "recommended" enclosure. I don't mind building another box, but as long as I'm satisfied with this box, and can get into the power and response range I want to be in with it, I will just use it. And I believe you, along with the others pointing out that any of these will do very well daily, have just helped me to finalize my decision, and go with the SA12. I will be ordering within the next 3 days, so depending on holiday shipping schedules, I will try and come back to this post within the next 2 weeks, hopefully, and let you all know if I feel like I made the right decision. Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate all the input!

Archived