Second Skin Audio

Box Tuning Question

KenSchoen

Hello Everyone. My friend recently purchased a ported box and has two Rockford Fosgate P3's in it. It sounds great....but I'm a little confused about a couple things.

1. It's a two sided box with a slotted port in the center.

2. Each side is roughly 3.3 ft3

3. The dimensions are these. H 14.6" W 38.2" D 25.2" wood thickness of 5/8"

4. Port dimensions PH 13.25" PD 19.6" PW 3"

This is what I don't understand. If you want between 12 and 16 inches of port area per cubic foot....why is the port area almost perfect for one side of the box? Wouldn't the port area need to be double for a two sided enclosure? If the port size doesn't need to be doubled when it's a center port then what would the tuning be? Thanks everyone

haha 5/8s And no way each sub has 3.3 cubes that's external. internal with port it's prolly 1.1cubes each. this is why prefab boxes suck!

cost 4x as much as a good homemade box. but as a guess your box is tuned between 37/42hz with a Very.small port.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

haha 5/8s And no way each sub has 3.3 cubes that's external. internal with port it's prolly 1.1cubes each. this is why prefab boxes suck!

cost 4x as much as a good homemade box. but as a guess your box is tuned between 37/42hz with a Very.small port.

It's quickly becoming obvious that many on this forum don't take questions seriously. A simple math equation shows that the internal volume of this box including port and port walls is 6.8 cubic ft. Either you didn't even read what I wrote or read it and did't put any effort toward coming up with an actual answer to my problem.

I get 6.21 cubes net(rough calculator math) before sub displacement. You've left out some vital information: What size subs is the box built for? I'm assuming 12s.

Here is your answer though: port area per foot is a general rule of thumb and a bad one at that. As long as there is sufficient OVERALL port area to satisfy the need of the subs, that's all that is needed. If you've got some P3 12s, 20" of port per DRIVER, should really be sufficient. I'd personally want to see slightly more, but that's just me. A P3 12" doesn't have a crapload of Xmax and that's likely why the subs sound fine in that box.

As far as tuning goes, the box is right around 27-28 Hz based on your measurements(assuming my math is worth a damn, but I'll bet I'm close)

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Thanks man :) Yeah they are for 12's and they do honestly sound pretty good. Are there any website or is there a formula to calculate desired port area per given sub size and xmax?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Personally I think you will be better off with a minimum area of around 30 sq inches per sub. Also according to your dimensions I'm getting about 26-27hz tuning which I think is a tad too low.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Archived