Question for ya fellas

I've had my Onkyo system for quite awhile (About 5 years or so I'd say, not 100% sure as to how long but it's definitely not brand new). I have all my devices hooked up to my TV (as I've always had) and then Optical cable from TV to the receiver. 0 issues all these years.

Just recently, I'll be watching TV and sound cuts out. I have 0 sound. No bass, no nothing. Picture still good. So being optical, figure something with the cord/connection. Jiggled everything, etc. Nothing. Turn off the system, turn back on, works again for a few mins. Then same thing.

I figure alright, I'll hook it up how every "normal" person would and plug all the devices into the receiver then the receiver into the TV with HDMI, since the optical may be the issue. Nope, exact same issue.

I've only noticed it when I watch TV... not Netflix (through the TV, it's one of those smart ones with the app on it), not through blu ray player, etc etc. Just have the cable box plugged into the TV with a HDMI cord.

I don't believe I've really messed with the factory settings but did do a factory reset on it. Still happens.

I changed out HDMI cords from the cable box to the TV, still does it.

Any ideas on what it'd be?

Sheena = pedobear

That can be a symptom of an hdmi cable going bad if you have another cable just try swapping them.

Also the input on the TV could be going bad, try switching to another input if one is available.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Did swap cords in a different input, and it did real quick. But then sound came back and well, it's been on for about 30 mins straight now.

I'm hoping the cord is the issue, cause the TV is pretty new. Used a Samsung for years but back in August or September of 2013, got a Vizio. Hate to think the input would be the issue, especially since the cable I was using is beyond a walmart special haha. Don't think it even really has a brand.

Sheena = pedobear

Was thinking of putting the new cord in old input, test to see if it was the input. Just as I thought of it, sound went out with the new cord in new input. Didn't move it into old input yet. Started up Netflix, runs from the smart tv app... 0 problems with the sound.

Sheena = pedobear

You could have a bad input board on the tv.

They aren't really expensive and are relatively easy to replace.

Do you have another TV you can try the connection with?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Does this happen just with commercials? Alot of commercials are recorded in different format then what your receiver is set to. Not a hdmi issue.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

It was the receiver. Happened during shows, netflix, etc. Commercials n the regular shows. I got another receiver, been on for like 15 hours now. Sound has cut out... 0 times. same speakers, same tv, same everything... just different receiver and good to go. Just gotta buy a new sub since, yeah, that part didn't work out.

Sheena = pedobear

May have a bad relay switch in onkyo.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

I did read that certain receivers they made had a bad chip and they were fixing for free or somethin. Just gotta mail it to em with the approval code. But apparently mine doesn't qualify. Oh well. I'll stick with this new one. Ditch the old one. Get wifi radio stuff with the new one haha.

Sheena = pedobear

Archived