Step-up to 16v or Step-down to 12v

Right so crank my system for 10-20 seconds then turn it down for 50 seconds then crank it for 10-20seconds.

sounds like how I want to listen to my music.

Might as well just buy some real alts and stay with a 12 volt system.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Right so crank my system for 10-20 seconds then turn it down for 50 seconds then crank it for 10-20seconds.

Edit: I plan on using 10 of these: http://ixdev.ixys.co...c3d8305fcd7.pdf

450 amps pulsed at 2% duty cycle (we are going to be using 50% at idle and 2% at full load) per chip. Multiply that number by 10 and we have the amount of current I can sink (4500 amps, sadly my HF toroidal inductors are only 4000va a piece, I'll have to stack them), my only limit is where to dump the extra 10% waste heat. <-- That is the main limit. If I can get my hands on a large (preferably long) aluminum chassis I can easily make a 10kw buck -or- boost regulator.

Can we have a mod change the title? "Step-up to 16v or Step down to 12v"?

I assume this is the idea behind your product? Robert?

A powerfull step down is a lot more interesting, since you get the extra power from the 16V alternator, by that I mean you don't lose the 5-10% of power in heat caused by the step up module.

There is also a limit on how much power a 16V alternator will put out, the most powerful 16V alternators will only provide the same amount of power as the most powerful 12V alternators since their biggest enemy is heat. And as we all know, P=VxA.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

i would scrap the 12 volt to 16 idea.

but it would be cool if u made a step up for cars that chrage low like 13.6 and step it up to 14.5 so the batterys charge faster and fuller.

then make a bye pass when the sysem is being played to keep cost down, so it wount have to be high amp rating

i think alot of people would by that befor getting an after market alt

also alot of amps out put full watts at 14v

i would scrap the 12 volt to 16 idea.

but it would be cool if u made a step up for cars that chrage low like 13.6 and step it up to 14.5 so the batterys charge faster and fuller.

then make a bye pass when the sysem is being played to keep cost down, so it wount have to be high amp rating

i think alot of people would by that befor getting an after market alt

also alot of amps out put full watts at 14v

I can totally make a buck-boost. You mean like 8v-16v in, 14.4v out CC/CV? I'm not joking about the chassis though. It's the only thing keeping me from making anything stable above 100 amps.

Archived