Sonic Electronix

2 - 8 volts at amp. Cant figure out whats wrong.

I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on with my system. I'm running a pioneer avh-4500bt headunit to stock speakers, and then for my sub I am running a 6.5" auduibahn subwoofer that is a 3 ohm midrange but the frequency response is down to about 28 hz. It's in a ported box and sounds great and it ran fine for about 3-4 months.

The first 300w amp started cutting out, and the sub would quit playing. If I restart the radio it would play again,and eventually it just kept going into protect mode. Replaced the amp with a pa880 and it too worked for a bit, then did the same thing. Would play until decent bass hit, and would dimmish to protect mode. Thought it was the sub and the weird 3ohms so I hooked up my kicker 2ohm and same thing...

-Changed ground locations, fixed temporarily. I redid all the wiring last night and it played fine all night and then on the way to work, it just slowly started cutting out. Sure enough when I tested the voltage I'm sitting at 3 volts at the amp. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but if I take the power wire and touch it to the ground, or touch it to the chassis I'll get a spark about 50% of the time. I was under the impression it would spark every time no matter what. What would cause this?

-I have 12 volts at on the wires, 12 volts on the rem but when I connect to the amp, I'll get anywhere from 2-8 volts. This is on both amps but not all the time. Sometimes it will be 12 and the amp runs good.

-all fuses are good.

-I opened up both amps, nothing smells burnt or looks burnt

- no idea what else to do.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

Take everything apart electrical from the battery to the amp and reconnect them and see what happens, it is also possible to have a bad fuse that hasn't completely blown causing the same problem so replace those with new to see if that fixes it.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

What voltage do u get when the car is on at the input terminals on the amp.

I'm assuming u have stock alt and batt

And you shouldn't have 12v coming from your HU into your REM at amp

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

What voltage do u get when the car is on at the input terminals on the amp.

I'm assuming u have stock alt and batt

And you shouldn't have 12v coming from your HU into your REM at amp

When the cars on about 13.xx off around 11.0. When it starts acting up 2-8 volts and all sub playing ceases.

You know I thought it was supposed to be lower, but I did a quick search last night and someone said 12 was normal. What's it supposed to be?

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

Take everything apart electrical from the battery to the amp and reconnect them and see what happens, it is also possible to have a bad fuse that hasn't completely blown causing the same problem so replace those with new to see if that fixes it.

That's what I did last night. Pulled the power inspected it, and the fuse. Repositioned the ground, checked the RCA's. Everything was good and I'm getting normal voltage when not plugged into the amp.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

How are the connections made?

Do you use lugs?

Are the lugs soldered or crimped?

I had a problem once where the lug was tight but not tight enough and caused problems that only became noticeable after the lug started showing signs of heating from the extreme resistance.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Do the connections at the battery all use the same point to connect to?

Do you use a battery that has side and top posts?

Yes and my battery had top posts. I undid them and repositioned them. Issue still persists.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

Archived