Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

What can I do with ~6 cubes?


gckless

Recommended Posts

Posted

Here is graphs for four Dayton HO 10's and two CSS SDX12's:

TFMDaytonHO_SDX12_zps540ec5d0.png

SPLDaytonHO_SDX12_zps8ea5849d.png

I used 18mm in the parameters for the Daytons. And loading would effectively reduce the peak of the Daytons.

I wish I had HD TSPs to plot. The SDX12 has 28mm of Xmax (Xmech isn't much more), the HD has 32mm (and higher Xmech). HD's Fs is higher than the SDX, and it's also more efficient than the SDX. I'm fairly sure the peak and the FR would be in the middle of the two above, but at a higher SPL than the Daytons. Thoughts? Of course this is software, and may not be anything near what I see in-car. But it's the best I can do for now.

The SDX12's look to be too peaky down low, and run out of steam shortly above. They're out right now. I've been leaning towards two HD 12s. Could use PRs too, save a little space. But I need to plot them and the four Dayton 15's sealed.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Posted

I worked up a quick T-Line design for a pair of the SDX 12"s just to show you what could be done with a T-line, here is what I got:

gvBSZQb.jpg

The black line is the T-line, the grey line is a 5 cube box tuned to 30 Hz for comparison.

With the T-line it flattened out that hump a bit and gives you a little more mid bass output. It has about 2.5 db of rise between 50 and 35 Hz. I could adjust that however you would like though. Size-wise the T-line is 4.6 cubes of internal space, so it should fit, though no promises.

If there any other subs you want me to take a stab at just let me know.

ETA: I posted the wrong graph at first, but the correct one is there now.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I posted the wrong graph before (somehow only had 1 SDX entered instead of two). Here is the correct one:

SPL4DaytonHOs_2SDX12s_zps92e4f8a1.png

I worked up a quick T-Line design for a pair of the SDX 12"s just to show you what could be done with a T-line, here is what I got:

The black line is the T-line, the grey line is a 5 cube box tuned to 30 Hz for comparison.

With the T-line it flattened out that hump a bit and gives you a little more mid bass output. It has about 2.5 db of rise between 50 and 35 Hz. I could adjust that however you would like though. Size-wise the T-line is 4.6 cubes of internal space, so it should fit, though no promises.

If there any other subs you want me to take a stab at just let me know.

ETA: I posted the wrong graph at first, but the correct one is there now.

That's awesome. Not sure that little bit of extra above 40Hz would be noticeable though, dontcha think?

Since you're offering, could you plot four Dayton HO 10's in 5 cubes at 30 Hz and in a T-line, on the same chart please? Space might be a factor for the T-line though.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265ho-44-10-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-463

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Posted

That's awesome. Not sure that little bit of extra above 40Hz would be noticeable though, dontcha think?

Since you're offering, could you plot four Dayton HO 10's in 5 cubes at 30 Hz and in a T-line, on the same chart please? Space might be a factor for the T-line though.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265ho-44-10-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-463

The difference in output above 40 Hz would be imperceptible I'm sure.

I'll try making one for the Dayton HO 10"s, just gimme a minute.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

or you could get a response similiar to this with a 6th. the yellow is a standard ported. the purple/gree/blue is a 6th. i modeled for a dd z95 10 :peepwall: but i could help you with a desing for woofer of your choosing.

85A3DDCF-C526-4DAD-B98A-62AD10E3DF0C_zps

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Posted

Ok, here is what I've got:

gNoKqdj.jpg

Same as before, black line is T-Line, gray line is 5 cube @ 30 Hz ported box. Pretty similar response, the t-line is tuned to about 31 hz, if I tuned it to 30 Hz it would be even closer to the ported box.

Here is the driver excursion graph based on 3600 watts into both boxes:

uYeJVgY.jpg

Again, pretty close, t-line has slightly less excursion but this could also be due to the slightly higher tune.

The problem you are going to have with both boxes is getting enough port area/line area to keep your vent velocities under control. In the other thread you asked me what situation T-lines work better, boxes where you need a big, long port to get enough port area and low enough tuning is one of those situations, and that's what we got going on here. With both boxes sized so as to get similar vent velocities at 3600 watts the T-line ends up being 5.3 cubic feet of total internal volume and the total internal volume (box & port displacement) of ported box is 7.2 cubic feet. These number don't take into account internal panel displacements, but you still get the idea.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Ok, here is what I've got:

The problem you are going to have with both boxes is getting enough port area/line area to keep your vent velocities under control. In the other thread you asked me what situation T-lines work better, boxes where you need a big, long port to get enough port area and low enough tuning is one of those situations, and that's what we got going on here. With both boxes sized so as to get similar vent velocities at 3600 watts the T-line ends up being 5.3 cubic feet of total internal volume and the total internal volume (box & port displacement) of ported box is 7.2 cubic feet. These number don't take into account internal panel displacements, but you still get the idea.

So from what I'm seeing, looks like if I went T-line the Daytons would outperform slightly, but standard ported it would be the CSS subs. Just for the record, I plan on going with Tantric HDs if I go with dual 12's. I've been using the SDX12's as sortof an output reference, but the HDs have a higher Fs and are more efficient, so output should be a bit more. I'm trying to get TSPs for them now.

Also, I am most likely going to use PRs in a ported box. Not going to work with a T-line obviously, but should save space if I can use them.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Posted

Yeah PRs would save a ton of space if you go with a ported box. Its going to take some pretty gnarly PRs, but that's nothing new to you :-)

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Yeah PRs would save a ton of space if you go with a ported box. Its going to take some pretty gnarly PRs, but that's nothing new to you :-)

Yeah, they're going to have to be about as big as they come. Murphy said he could build them with just under 4" p-p Xmech.

Here is a graph with two HD 12's, two SDX12's, and four Dayton HO 10's. I altered each tuning for smoothest response/most output mixture.
TFM4HO10_2SDX12_2HD12_zps8f94a743.png
SPL4HO10_2SDX12_2HD12_zps0d764026.png
"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4682 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...