Second Skin Audio

extending port on already built box

Totalnoob

hey guys i have an already built slot ported box in my car and i am planning on extending the port in hopes of getting a lower tuning for the box. i was wondering how exactly this will effect the box. It should be the same 4.25 cubes after all displacements inside the box where the woofer is, so i guess it will just have more port area. i have no idea how this will effect the box if someone could help me out. i just need to know if extending the port out about 2 inches from the face and was wondering if it will lower the tuning or raise the tuning.

so pretty much i am externally adding more port on the outside if that makes sense. I am not adding length to the back end of the L shaped port on the inside of the box.

i tried doing it in torres but couldnt figure out how to just get the port longer without effecting the internal box volume where the sub is(due to the box already being built you know) if anyone knows how to do this and could help me out it would be nice.

Thanks.

Extending the port will lower the tuning, it will not add port area, it only adds length.

Two inches probably won't make much difference, but it depends on how long your port is to start with.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The question is, how much lower are you wanting to go? If you're looking for a little tweak, a couple extra inches of external port may get you there. If, for instance, you're at 40 hz wanting to drop down to 33, not going to happen with basically a smoke stack on top of the port.

Another option, if you are a little big on the port size, would be to build a plug. If you remove some port area, that'll have the same effect and CAN (all things are relative in this game) possibly give a little more cone control allowing you to play below your tuning freq. Of course, take away too much and you choke the performance of the sub and end up with port noise Hell.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Making a port plug to lower the tuning isn't a bad idea as long as there will be enough port area left when you are done.

However I disagree with the idea of purposefully under sizing the port for cone control. That's like purposefully under sizing your exhaust system to keep your engine from over revving. It may work but you will pay the price in performance the rest of the time. If you want more come control down low leave your port area the same and tune lower and/or set your subsonic filter where it needs to be.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Making a port plug to lower the tuning isn't a bad idea as long as there will be enough port area left when you are done.

However I disagree with the idea of purposefully under sizing the port for cone control. That's like purposefully under sizing your exhaust system to keep your engine from over revving. It may work but you will pay the price in performance the rest of the time. If you want more come control down low leave your port area the same and tune lower and/or set your subsonic filter where it needs to be.

Agreed, hence why I tried to offer that advice with a disclaimer. The one thing enclosure design has taught me is that the shit is all relative, everything works with/fights with each other. Make one change, several things will be different. I guess what I was trying to say was that if his tuning is high because he's using a larger than recommended port, choking it down a little would help. Of course, if he's already small, choking it will just make everything get worse.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I'm tuned to 32hz right now and my goal is either 29hz or 30hz. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to extend the port easily. I was thinking about using cardboard or something to test it out. What do you guys think. I kind of want to flare it somehow do I might end up using pvc pipe somehow idk yet if anyone has any good ideas shout them out I would love to hear them.

You could try cardboard just to see how it will sound. Honestly you will never hear the difference between 32 Hz and 30 Hz though.

Builds:

Archived