Alright, here's the background.

1997 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4wd

Transfer case was replaced in October 2014

Issue is I recently noticed that my odometer is no longer working, but the speedometer and tachometer both still function normally . In my experience and confirmation from others, those three would be wired all together going to the tranny. So if they had left it unhooked none of it would work correct? But that experience is also with 94 and older vehicles so i could be wrong. Hoping someone on here may have an idea/answer. I'd rather not have to go back to the shop that replaced it to see what they may have done because it kills two tanks of gas getting there and back, and I'd really rather do it myself than pay someone else local. Thanks.

I'm not sure about that particular vehicle, but it is common for the odometer/speedometer to take an input from sensor(s) in the tailshaft of the transmission. Tach signal would be based on crank shaft speed. Certainly possible the issue was caused during the transfer case replacement. Also possible that, given the age of the vehicle, any number of problems could cause this. I can't tell you exactly how to diagnose the issue, but I would start with a wiring diagram. Just my .02

I would think it's in the cluster , if it was at the Trans the speedo shouldn't be working either.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

My google search pulled those answers too, but the symptoms leading to those replacements were both speedo and odometer not working, not just one.

Archived