Second Skin Audio

Is a 3 cube box too big for an sa12

Cj Kumz

i don't understand the big boner people get from overpowering subs? can you honestly hear a difference? i prefer to follow instructions and not constantly be smelling and looking at the sub and worrying about that shit so i can just focus on enjoying the music. but hey thats just me

You bring up a good point. You can't even hear a difference between 600 and 900 watts.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I appreciate all the info people. And I know running a bigger box with that power isn't ideal. I will build a proper box when the other sa12 comes in.. What my main question was what the disadvantages of a bigger box assuming have the gain set right to account for the box size. Also is there a limit on how big a box can be even when really underpowering

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

I appreciate all the info people. And I know running a bigger box with that power isn't ideal. I will build a proper box when the other sa12 comes in.. What my main question was what the disadvantages of a bigger box assuming have the gain set right to account for the box size. Also is there a limit on how big a box can be even when really underpowering

It will just play peaky.

And what are your thoughts over the biggest box that a sub can take?? And in a bigger box should the subsonic still be at 1/2 an octave below tuning since the mechanical handling is lowered

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Thanks for the info. But is there any downfall of using a big box. What I mean is ofcourse when underpowering a big box is fine but shouldn't there be a max limit to how big a box can be?? Ofcourse we can't go throwing a 1000w 12" into a 5cube box and power with 100w and expect it to work right lol

Yes, peakier response, less mechanical power handling, higher group delay, higher peak impedance,...

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

And what are your thoughts over the biggest box that a sub can take?? And in a bigger box should the subsonic still be at 1/2 an octave below tuning since the mechanical handling is lowered

If you absolutely know what you are doing and have instrumentation available you could run a box significantly larger than recommended controlling excursion through the subsonic filter and port loading, how large would depend on the sub and power.

Archived