Justin Webber Posted February 14, 2015 Report Posted February 14, 2015 I have the following setup listed below and a weird thing happen tonight. I think i'm on the right track to figure out what happened so I can learn from it next time and not make the same error. I just got a new truck, a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6. I installed my system in the truck and when hitting low notes the lights dimmed real low, so I figured used vehicle, time for a new battery. As I was playing music, The Bass suddenly stopped, I thought the voltage dropped to low and the amp went into protect, nope subs blew. No smoke, noise, fowl odor, nothing! Just Stopped Mid Song. I checked the resistance on the subs .3 ohms. Amp is putting out hertz. Stock alt is 95 Amps. I have 0 gauge from bat to cap and cap to amp and for ground as well, fused at 300 amps. I now have to replace them and want to get this fixed tomorrow, so I'm thinking of going to bestbuy and getting (2) Kicker CompR 12" http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-compr-12-dual-voice-coil-2-ohm-subwoofer-black/7739042.p?id=1218859509037&skuId=7739042 I upgraded from the stock and old 560 CCA battery to a 880 CCA battery. Gains were set about 40% | Bass Boost about 10% | LPF 45hz | Sub Sonic 25hz | Bass Boost Freq 33hz | HU Sub Output +6 50hz My questions, I have a few: A) Do I need that cap, is it doing any good? Did the voltage drop cause it to go to extreme clip and blow the subs? Pioneer DVD Touchscreen HU Belva BB5000d 5000w Mono Amp Boss Audio 18 Farad Cap 2 Pioneer TS-W309D4 (wired to 1 ohm) Sealed Down-fire Box (Separate Chambers) Thanks, Justin W
Deeznutz Posted February 14, 2015 Report Posted February 14, 2015 How can you tell the subs blew? -Frank
Justin Webber Posted February 14, 2015 Author Report Posted February 14, 2015 The resistance across the terminals is .3 ohms and I also tried another amp as-well to rule that out to be sure.
Rich Schenk Posted February 14, 2015 Report Posted February 14, 2015 Turn off bass boost. Sounds like u clipped the subs and burnt a coil. Set your gains with a dd-1, oscilloscope, or if you dont have access to any of those set with a dmm. On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said: Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science... Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/ 2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/ 2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded
Deeznutz Posted February 14, 2015 Report Posted February 14, 2015 First, do not buy from Best Buy. Everything there is entry level. Where you live? What state or city? I am an advocate for pawn shops. No I'm not a lobbist for pawn shops! Just a miser! You can get smoking deals if you do not mind driving around and haggling for the best price. Tell us about your enclosure size. -Frank
Deeznutz Posted February 14, 2015 Report Posted February 14, 2015 Thank you Rich, I was googling his equipment and seeing the different amp to sub wattage ratings..... That entire set up is Walmart-ish at best. OP, you need to up your gear. A down firing box? Those are meant to add bass,but if you were trying to get loud, a down firing box is not the way to do. It's like yelling with your hand over your mouth! Take a pic of that enclosure. -Frank
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted February 14, 2015 Report Posted February 14, 2015 Get rid of that 300 amp fuse as well and get maybe a 100-150 amp tops. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
BigManAC Posted February 14, 2015 Report Posted February 14, 2015 ^this x 2 2001 Saturn L200-Sony MEX-BT4100PFRONT STAGE:- (4) Crescendo PWX 6- Cadence XA250.2SUB STAGE:-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)-Crescendo BC2kELECTRICAL:- Singer 240A alt - XS Power D3400- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gaugeBuild Log: Click HereScores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw
Justin Webber Posted February 14, 2015 Author Report Posted February 14, 2015 That is the box I have, the 300 amp fuse is what came with the amp. I will throw in a 150 I have here. This system worked fine in my 96 ranger, it hurt my throat. Is the capacitor doing me any good at this point or should I get rid of it? How do I set gains with a Digital Multi Meter, Mine Does Hz As Well, Its Pretty Advanced. I live in everett, pa 15537. The farm country. No pawn shops in my town, bestbuy is 30 - 40 miles away and really my only option as I only have about $300 bucks atm. Thanks, Justin W
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.