Looking for simple cheap tone generator

firebirdude

I used this one for years

31D5isMvYhL.jpg

Small, basic, cheap and effective. But it's starting to fall apart. The plastic casing is crumbling and the battery connector has ripped apart a couple times and needed a quick resolder. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have an auto-off feature. So if the button gets pressed accidentally or I just forget to turn it off, it runs until the 9V dies.

So time for a new one. Seems like the PAC TL-PTG2 is nearly the only thing out there for the car audio world, no?

TL-PTG2.jpg

I like that it has an auto-off feature, however it's actually just a 5 minute timer each and every time you turn it on. So no on/off switch. Just an on button which leaves it on for 5 mins. Dumb. I also don't like that it has a button for 9V speaker popping. The last thing I need is to connect to two wires I hope are speaker wires, then accidently bump the 9V speaker popper button and send 9VDC down what are actually airbag wires. Hey. It's a possibility.

So anybody use anything else under ~$75?

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Wow that old school tone generator brings back memories.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

i use the Pac unit and love it. if you connect it to "speaker wire" and don't test for impedance first maybe you shouldn't be installing b/c it doesn't take much to set off an airbag. any speaker pop will set off an airbag, hell I blew some airbags by putting my test light probe on the airbag plug back in 2002. one of the other installers I work with had the same tool you had and he started using mine, now he is constantly using it. it's to the point that I'm going to just buy him one.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

i use the Pac unit and love it. if you connect it to "speaker wire" and don't test for impedance first maybe you shouldn't be installing b/c it doesn't take much to set off an airbag. any speaker pop will set off an airbag, hell I blew some airbags by putting my test light probe on the airbag plug back in 2002. one of the other installers I work with had the same tool you had and he started using mine, now he is constantly using it. it's to the point that I'm going to just buy him one.

No shit sherlock. That's exactly why I mentioned that. And how are you going to conduct an impedance test without cutting the wires in two to isolate the speaker from the head unit/factory amp? OR you could just hit it with the tone generator. Yeah. That's what I thought...

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Archived