Jhunt94 Posted February 27, 2015 Report Posted February 27, 2015 This is one of the rare times that I disagree with JoeX. I would suggest you do not try to replace the factory head unit, unless you really want to take on a difficult project. In these newer Ford cars all the signal processing (left/right balance, front/rear fade, bass/treble, subwoofer crossover, etc) is all done in the factory amp that is most likely hiding somewhere in your trunk. If you replace the head unit you have to replace that amp too and its going to be a ton of work and expense. Not to mention there is usually a bunch of vehicle functions that are integrated into the factory HU that are going to be hard, if not impossible, to get to work with an aftermarket HU. I've used a LOC wired to the sub output on these ford systems and it worked great, so that is my suggestion. I like JoeX's box design though :-) So the LOC needs to go after the amp and not before the amp? 2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside250 Mechman AlternatorSky High Car Audio Big 3 XS Power D3400Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kitRockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcpRockford Fosgate T400-4DC Audio Lvl 4 12"Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" componentRockford Fosgate Punch 6x8Pioneer AVH-P2300DVDSMD Volt Meter
Triticum Agricolam Posted February 27, 2015 Report Posted February 27, 2015 It depends on how your factory amp is setup. I've done two late-model ford installs in the last year, one was in a F-150 and that other was in a Focus. On the F-150 I tapped into subwoofer inputs coming from the HU going into the factory amp and didn't need to use a LOC. On the Focus there were no separate subwoofer inputs going into the factory amp, the crossover to the sub was done in the amp so I had to use a LOC wired to the amp subwoofer outputs. I don't know how your car will be setup, you will have to figure out how its wired now and decide how you want to do it based on that. No matter how it is, using a LOC wired to the sub outputs on the amp should work though. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
thethriller Posted February 28, 2015 Report Posted February 28, 2015 That subwoofer is one of the main reasons I got a base model Focus ST! I knew it would be useless if one were expecting any real bass. That being said, I also will not be replacing even my base model head unit because I feel like the basic Sync system does everything it needs to and does it well. To get the signal out of my factory HU I'm going to be tapping into the front two channels behind the HU and running it into an Audiocontrol LC2i. This post pretty much details the rest of my plans, but have not yet decided on amplifiers http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195236-2014-ford-focus-stsundown-sa-8-v2-d2-custom-enclosure-advice/ I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with if you plan to fiberglass a box into that corner of the trunk, best of luck!
dsw422 Posted February 28, 2015 Author Report Posted February 28, 2015 i actually like the system in my car, but just want a little more boom.. the other 9 speakers in the car sound amazing.. and yea, i definately wont be touching the HU. As for hooking up a LOC, ill most likely do triticum said.. just tap into the sub wires.. im interested in seeing/building it too!! lol.. thanks 2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System 1994 Ford Bronco Dual head unit (i kno) Sony door speakers Kenwood Rear Speakers Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10" https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/
dsw422 Posted February 28, 2015 Author Report Posted February 28, 2015 hey triticum, i went through your builds and saw you made a box for 1 15 for a focus hatchback.. what were your dimensions if i can ask?? i just built a box for a budy for 1 15 in a 2013 focus hatch.. heres the thread.. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195074-box-for-hcca-15-d4/ 2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System 1994 Ford Bronco Dual head unit (i kno) Sony door speakers Kenwood Rear Speakers Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10" https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/
Triticum Agricolam Posted February 28, 2015 Report Posted February 28, 2015 hey triticum, i went through your builds and saw you made a box for 1 15 for a focus hatchback.. what were your dimensions if i can ask?? i just built a box for a budy for 1 15 in a 2013 focus hatch.. heres the thread.. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195074-box-for-hcca-15-d4/ Sure, the dimensions were 40-1/2" wide x 18" deep x 13-3/4" tall, it fit about as close to perfect as I could hope for. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
dsw422 Posted February 28, 2015 Author Report Posted February 28, 2015 The box I made was a bit bigger.. i was off though a little on my width.. i just trimmed the corners so it'll fit.. I've got final coat of paint on it now a d will b put back in Monday or Tuesday.. hopefully I trimmed enough 2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System 1994 Ford Bronco Dual head unit (i kno) Sony door speakers Kenwood Rear Speakers Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10" https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/
Joe X Posted March 1, 2015 Report Posted March 1, 2015 This is one of the rare times that I disagree with JoeX. I would suggest you do not try to replace the factory head unit, unless you really want to take on a difficult project. In these newer Ford cars all the signal processing (left/right balance, front/rear fade, bass/treble, subwoofer crossover, etc) is all done in the factory amp that is most likely hiding somewhere in your trunk. If you replace the head unit you have to replace that amp too and its going to be a ton of work and expense. Not to mention there is usually a bunch of vehicle functions that are integrated into the factory HU that are going to be hard, if not impossible, to get to work with an aftermarket HU. I've used a LOC wired to the sub output on these ford systems and it worked great, so that is my suggestion. I like JoeX's box design though :-) It's more like I just overlooked it's one of "those" vehicles anyhow in many cases this won't stop anyone more serious about car audio. OP I know you are at the entry level and it's all good to do a quick fix to improve, just a reminder, there's cool stuff to be had if you ever want it.
germanyt Posted August 26, 2015 Report Posted August 26, 2015 Found this thread searching for info on what to do with my 14 Focus SE Hatch. Found this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_52517_Metra-99-5827B.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scplp3792620&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx_WuBRDJ7tSK2-W0pJkBEiQAEWgR8Nes4DOUvZBfNUdpHfg6TbWDGe3D3KD6Ddhqa_7DqSEaAseM8P8HAQ Biggest issue for me is finding alternator power. I can fit 1 battery and 3.7net cubes in the hatch area and keep it below the cargo cover. So 1 15 is the best option. I've also considered removing the back seats and walling off behind the driver seat. 2 18s maybe? I dunno. Just getting ideas. ATM I'm digging the CT Sounds EXO 15. Current Setup : Nothing2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch Future looking like: Singer / XS power Crescendo BC3500D CT EXO 15 Pioneer 80PRS CDT HD-61PRO CT Sounds M75.4 CT Sounds AT60.4 Something along those lines.
dsw422 Posted August 27, 2015 Author Report Posted August 27, 2015 Found this thread searching for info on what to do with my 14 Focus SE Hatch. Found this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_52517_Metra-99-5827B.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scplp3792620&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx_WuBRDJ7tSK2-W0pJkBEiQAEWgR8Nes4DOUvZBfNUdpHfg6TbWDGe3D3KD6Ddhqa_7DqSEaAseM8P8HAQ Biggest issue for me is finding alternator power. I can fit 1 battery and 3.7net cubes in the hatch area and keep it below the cargo cover. So 1 15 is the best option. I've also considered removing the back seats and walling off behind the driver seat. 2 18s maybe? I dunno. Just getting ideas. ATM I'm digging the CT Sounds EXO 15. which head unit do u have?? i am keeping my factory one since it is the touch screen... i built a box for my buddy in his 2013 hatch. i was for a HCCA 15. i forget total size.. but it was a perfect fit with notches in the side to hold it in place.. Under the cargo cover too!! 2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System 1994 Ford Bronco Dual head unit (i kno) Sony door speakers Kenwood Rear Speakers Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10" https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.