Second Skin Audio

Overall box critique and all thread question.

Doing a new box for my 4 12's because I've learned a lot in the last few months since I built my last box. I'll be using all thread for bracing and was wondering if 1/2 would be enough. There will be two pieces of all thread running in each direction not just one. Constructive criticism is welcome and so is overall advice.

Drivers:

Pioneer TS-W3003D4

I'll be putting rated power to them (600rms)

And the box is going in a 2014 JKU Softtop.

torres%204%2012%20pioneer%20project%20v2

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

This is just my opinion, but even though all thread works as a brace quite effectively, it's a little unsightly and in a daily driver wooden dowels or mdf bracing is much more aesthetically pleasing and still functional.

This is just my opinion, but even though all thread works as a brace quite effectively, it's a little unsightly and in a daily driver wooden dowels or mdf bracing is much more aesthetically pleasing and still functional.

Just trying new things. The last few boxes that I've done have used mdf bracing, all thread just sounded like a fun experiment to me.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

If you are using a sono tube for your aero port, they are actually 11.5in. 12in is the outside diameter. port area may be a bit too small at that point?

As for allthread, I used .5in in my build and it's strong as shit, but compared to .75in all thread, the .5in bends easily, once in and tensioned there does not seem to be any issues but I would use .75in if I did it again.

I dig the allthread look. dowels are cleaner but allthread is easier to work with in my experience, you can always hide them with beauty panels

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

I don't like all thread for bracing since it only is strong in tension, and not in compression. I also don't like the way it looks, but to each their own.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If you are using a sono tube for your aero port, they are actually 11.5in. 12in is the outside diameter. port area may be a bit too small at that point?

As for allthread, I used .5in in my build and it's strong as shit, but compared to .75in all thread, the .5in bends easily, once in and tensioned there does not seem to be any issues but I would use .75in if I did it again.

I dig the allthread look. dowels are cleaner but allthread is easier to work with in my experience, you can always hide them with beauty panels

Thanks for pointing out that its actually 11.5in :+1: It brought my cross section area down to 10.42in which i imagine is still fine. Honestly i kind like the look of all thread.....call me crazy.

I don't like all thread for bracing since it only is strong in tension, and not in compression. I also don't like the way it looks, but to each their own.

If done properly all thread should be just as strong as mdf or dowels, right? or wrong?

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

This. Although you could add nuts on the inside, still I prefer a well designed and built wood brace.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Here's what I did on my current box with nuts on the inside as well as out.

20141120_123729_zpse4b57f29.jpg

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

Archived