Yes I know the X15 D2 would be more beneficial if only running one single sub but when I ordered from woofersetc_outlet (registered online sundown dealer) they were back ordered on the D2 for 3+ months so I got the D4.

What I am upgrading from:

2 12" jvc arsenals 350 rms each (700rms) they were being powered by a hifonics hfi 1000.1D amplifier in a box tuned to 40 Hz. they shook my Windows and impressed my friends a bit but after some heavy bumping they finally blew.

I never heard of sundown until recently but after a lot of research I kept hearing amazing things. I searched for a local sundown dealer who does custom builds and had him build me a 4.25 cube enclosure for my 91 accord (many told me that would never be done) but bass mechanic 253 pulled it off. I hooked the sub up to the same amp my 2 12's were on and keep in mind my sub is only 2 ohm capable so the amp is now producing 750 rms @ 2 ohms. I played decafs "downtown" and dj slow n throws Garth Brooks remix of "thunder rolls" before with my last system at 1000 watts but now the sundown at 25% less power is absolutely destroying the songs I used to love. This subwoofer is absolutely amazing.I admit the 40hz range does not hit nearly as hard as before but what I lose in 37+ hz range I gain 4x the output in the 26-36 hz range Which is huge to me since I prefer lows. My girlfriend noticed the same thing and also agrees these new subs are a different world of subwoofer than what we are used to.

What I felt:

With the jvcs I'd say the bass lines were sharp and punchy. Definitely vibrated the ear wax a bit and kept my rear view mirror shaking violently enough to make the mirror start facing towards my floor Which was pretty cool and was always a topic during demos.

With the sundown X15 D4 the bass is a whole different type of feeling which I never knew would even be a factor when upgrading subwoofers. When I play coca cola by Gucci mane (mi Casa su Casa) before it was great to me. On the low notes my Windows sort of shook and I thought it was cool as hell but now the sundown makes the Windows shake something viscous now. The air and vibrations feel like they are moving slower through my car than before and make me feel as if I'm sitting in water that is perfect body temperature and when the bass hits the waves hit and vibrate through my body in such a calming way it's hard to describe but it's powerful as all hell. With the jvcs the waves were not as calming and seemed to run into each other more than the sundown does. they were viscous waves don't get me wrong but the quality is just not there to me.

I already have a 2200 watt mono amp that is 1600 rms at 2 ohm in my closet that arrived a few weeks back but I wanted to experience this subwoofer on the amp I had previous experience with so I could give an honest comparison of jvc arsenal on the same power source as the sundown I am reviewing. 2 12" jvc arsenals at 25% more power do not compare in any way to this sundown X15 D4. I believed the arsenal subs to be louder and crisper than my old 12" kicker comps (2). Sundown in my opinion is a must have.

When I hook up my XS power D3400 battery and my new hifonics Brutus X14 2200.1D (I know many do not like hifonics and neither did I because of bad reviews but once I tried them I loved them) I'll leave a second review on what I feel and notice about the X15 at more than twice the power from this review

• 3 weeks later...

Did you try this sub with more power, now ?

How do you feel the change ?

Tuned in for more info.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you are happy with your sub! Love my zv4s (kinda similar to the X)

Remember, a lot of the improvement you are noticing is probably due to the new box and lower tuning. So be sure to thank Jason for that! He's a great builder.

Team NorthWestSPL

Glad you are happy with your sub! Love my zv4s (kinda similar to the X)

Remember, a lot of the improvement you are noticing is probably due to the new box and lower tuning. So be sure to thank Jason for that! He's a great builder.

I messaged him right after I installed To thank him. Worth the wait for sure. The Zv4 is a beast. I'd of preferred that over the X series but just was UN in my price range at the time.

Net box volume of the old box with the JVCs? And what's the new box tuned to?

Not that I'm pro JVC anything, but just keeping the stats honest to make sure both subwoofers get a fair shake.

kind of an awkward position to put someone in giving a review. I didn't make this thread to hail any glory to JVC. Ive literally tossed those away.

When I purchased my jvc system I did not foresee a predicament where i would be needing to maximize my potential sound quality with that system To compare it to a more permanent system I would be later purchasing (sundown X series). That system was a start up system I bought for less than 150$ for the amp,enclosure,both subs and wires as a bundle. if you want me to give both of them a fair shake you may be very disappointed..a recone kit for my sundown X15 is closer to the price of my whole last set up let alone what all I've invested in this set up so there's not much left to shake with the jvc's. this review is to review my new sundown.

Archived