Stephen Raab Posted March 12, 2015 Report Posted March 12, 2015 Ok, so I am trying to design a 4th order for my S10. Since it is a single cab truck there is no way that I could fit everything behind the seat. I designed this and wanted to see what you all thought of it and what changes/improvements could be made to improve upon the design. I will be running a DC Audio 15" lvl 4 on a crescendo symphony series s1500 1 run of 1/0 SHCA power and a 2ft 1/0 ground wire. All wood shown is 3/4" with a double baffle. Sealed Volume: 2.55 Ported Volume: 5.74 Tuned to 55hz Ratio: 2.25:1 If there is more information needed to make a better judgement, let me know and I will do my best to provide it.
Stephen Raab Posted March 12, 2015 Author Report Posted March 12, 2015 How about this, or should I keep the port where it was. What is the reason to not having the sub lined up with the port, just curious?
Jhunt94 Posted March 12, 2015 Report Posted March 12, 2015 I don't know much about 4th orders, but I figure he told you that because of something to do with loading. Like I said though, don't know much about them. 2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside250 Mechman AlternatorSky High Car Audio Big 3 XS Power D3400Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kitRockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcpRockford Fosgate T400-4DC Audio Lvl 4 12"Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" componentRockford Fosgate Punch 6x8Pioneer AVH-P2300DVDSMD Volt Meter
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 12, 2015 Report Posted March 12, 2015 I think your design is going to be peaky and have a pretty limited frequency range. Depending on your goals that may or may not be what you want. What frequency range are you hoping to be able to play with it? What are you goals with this system? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Stephen Raab Posted March 12, 2015 Author Report Posted March 12, 2015 My goals for this honestly are to be loud as possible with the equipment I have I still want to be able to have decent bass across the board but don't mind if it is a little peaky. Essentially be able to listen to it everyday, and compete if the chance arises.
Stephen Raab Posted March 12, 2015 Author Report Posted March 12, 2015 I am completely open to suggestions, I wouldn't mind having a daily driver ground pounder either. I know with the equipment Im running its not going to be the next IASCA champ but i like loud bass and that's what im going for.
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 13, 2015 Report Posted March 13, 2015 My goals for this honestly are to be loud as possible with the equipment I have I still want to be able to have decent bass across the board but don't mind if it is a little peaky. Essentially be able to listen to it everyday, and compete if the chance arises. Well as you have the box designed right now, its going to be really efficient right around tuning, so it should get loud. Its just going to roll off pretty fast above and below tuning. You say you don't mind if its a little peaky, unfortunately just how severe "a little peaky" is is pretty subjective. Based in my listening tastes I'd say your box is going to be a "lot peaky", but you may not think so. My suggestion to you would be to make your port removable or otherwise design it so you can fairly easily adjust the tuning. I think you are probably going to want to tune closer to 50 or even 45 hz, but some experimentation would be the best thing to do. If the box does end up being more peaky than you would like you can always put some foam board in the front chamber to reduce its volume and then retune your port. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Joe X Posted March 13, 2015 Report Posted March 13, 2015 Op if competing, a 18" will give you some extra output without any extra power, you should not have space problems back there.
Stephen Raab Posted March 13, 2015 Author Report Posted March 13, 2015 The only issue with attempting to adjust the port and retune is the fact that this is going to be a blow through in an S10. JoeX I am limited on space as the bed on the truck is quite shallow and Im already pushing it with a 15. I may end up having to put the baffle at an angle to get the box to fit in the bed without sticking up out of it. I would love to measure it and know for sure but im currently overseas and have to way to do that.... so for now this is just basic planning and design to see whats going to work best.... plus I already have the 15 and love it so I dont really want to change equipment.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.