Grounding

Should I ground both my strapped bass amps separate or should I ground them off my rear battery or how is the best way for me about doing this.

Budget Banging On A Budget.....

99 Civic EX Coupe

XS Power/SkyHigh Powered

Build In The Making...

I asked the same question for my build not too long ago, the answer I was given was to ground to the Battery, and make sure your battery is grounded REALLY well. Couldnt explain why to be honest, maybe someone wiser can explain why. but in my case, 2 amps, 1 run of 1/0 from each amp to the battery, 2 runs of 1/0 from battery to the frame or similar.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Strange cause I always thought the shorter the ground the better, I see many people with batteries pretty far away from their amplifiers.

99 Civic EX Coupe

XS Power/SkyHigh Powered

Build In The Making...

Strange cause I always thought the shorter the ground the better, I see many people with batteries pretty far away from their amplifiers.

Yes that is a good point, my batteries are about 2-3' away from my amps as im adding a rear battery in my suburban, in the case of running a long ground, a solid ground direct to frame might be a better option to decrease voltage drop. Im not sure what the limit would be though, like maybe 5'+ calls for a frame ground? not really sure.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

The whole idea of a ground is to complete the chain for electrons to flow to and from the alternator. In most cases, the frame is a better conductor than even a number of runs of wire. This is the reason you should keep your grounds as short as possible.

In a vehicle like a suburban, you want to ground the alternator and front battery to the frame on one side of the vehicle. In the rear, your batteries and amps should be grounded to the frame on the same side. Make all of your runs as short as possible, using a sufficient quantity of wire to carry the current. A common grounding point in the rear is fine, make sure the wire is beefy enough to carry the current and your terminations are solid.

The whole reason to make your grounds as short as possible is because in most cases you have the length of the wire plus the length of the vehicle chassis, with power wire you only have the length of the wire. If you have a battery/battery bank in the back, make sure it is grounded well and just ground your amps to the that.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

MrSkippy, what if my battery is all the way towards my hatch, cause my amplifiers are on my back seat? I have a 01 jeep grand Cherokee?

99 Civic EX Coupe

XS Power/SkyHigh Powered

Build In The Making...

So keep the ground as short as possible? Ok,in my truck,the batteries are in the bed,and amp's are in the cabin. From amp's to batteries is about five and a half feet. Would it be better to find a solid ground inside the truck,or put a capacitor,or like a smaller battery inside the truck,and ground it to that?

Archived