Ok, help me pick: On Axis or Off Axis (fiberglass dash pods)

Colin - STAPUFT

11053627_10202716654835789_2201132785350

^ Shows how little room there is to work with. That's as far out and angled as I could get the baffle. Any more either way and the mid would hit the dash trim piece or the back of the speaker would hit the glass.

I'm having the same issue in the Magnum. I was going to put the tweeter on the A pillar but I don't have any room up front to get a on-axis alignment because of the stupid hump for the gauge cluster. I have a little more room then you but its a real pain to get a clear line of sight.

Looking goo though! keep the pictures coming, love the work you're putting in. Helps me formulate some ideas.

^ It's almost as if the factory didn't care that we want to put HUGE speaker enclosures on the dash so we can run things on axis. lol

Trying to get this video going, but my home computer is having trouble. New phone does videos in Ultra HD (for whatever that is worth) and the home computer is all weaksauce.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

^ It's almost as if the factory didn't care that we want to put HUGE speaker enclosures on the dash so we can run things on axis. lol

Trying to get this video going, but my home computer is having trouble. New phone does videos in Ultra HD (for whatever that is worth) and the home computer is all weaksauce.

lol yea really who the hell needs gauges?! Trade you a computer for an entire SQ install ;)

Soooooo how they sound?

Awful. ;)

(sorry- It is late, I can't sleep, and this is going to be long and rambling... so be warned)

Actually- they sound really good. I don't have the mids fully sealed off as of yet- they are just put in and screwed down without any type of gasket or material to help make a proper seal. Even so, I didn't hear any air noise coming from around the speaker. These sound much better than my last dash pods I made (for my Nissan Frontier). That has to do with many factors (including power, components, etc... but I think mostly) like internal volumes being matched, angles of baffles are better at directing the sound as well.

I accidentally had one driver wired out of phase when I first hooked them up- and it was very easy to tell. Flipped one wire and *boom* twice the volume and clarity. I've been listening to all of the usual stuff while starting on setting the levels- L & R channel identification, mono center tracks, in & out of phase, sine wave sweeps to help determine crossover settings, on and on.... and I know things sound better (much better in fact) and definitely different. I've already noticed some things in a few tracks that I did not notice before:

(ex: War's Low Rider - after the first lyric "All my friends know the low rider" he says "yeah" really quietly - I knew that was there, but it comes in crystal clear now and had depth behind it).

I'm not real sure that I will really even need to have an EQ for each tweeter and each set of mids. I haven't played tones to see how far certain frequencies are pulled to the Left & Right, but after a quick rough in of the settings, things that should be in the center are dead center. Where my Frontier's image may put a voice in an area the size of your open hand, the Van puts that same voice in a space the size of your closed fist. It is pretty cool. As I was randomly going through some of my higher quality music, I played Amos Lee's Street Corner Preacher:

and the intro made me snap my head to the left. The percussion at the very beginning had a realness, an impact it never had before. In short- I was used to it sounding a certain way coming from a speaker (or set of speakers). When it first came on- the way it sounded- I forgot it was playing through speakers, and it startled me. lol

And again, I would like to go on record saying EMPHATICALLY, that Randall- (Cableguy) was right. I most certainly do NOT need that center channel. In the video you will see me putting the camera towards the center of my busted glass a lot- the reason for that is that is where the vocals are coming from. The center. That's what makes it even crazier when something that is solely on the Left or Right Channel come on: they are there hard on the Left or Right. Channel separation is great.

Stage width *could* be wider though- I expected that. Tuning will help some, but even IF I get everything set up perfectly, I think that will always be the limiting factor on this. Don't get me wrong- it isn't bad at all and I think the pros far outweigh the cons (like- by a mile) but stage width may be a bit of the trade off for the impact that I'm getting.

I dunno- music is light and airy, but the midbass also has a certain pop that you can feel. I'm working to even better sync the tweeters to the mids to the woofers to get that as good as possible. That's gonna' be the real work now.

Nice work

Thank you much.... it took long enough to do- bit here and bit there.

It is gonna' be a booger to finish. I'm still flirting with the idea of actually painting them, but I just don't think I have the patience to Bondo everything and sand it all super flat and smooth. Speaker Box fabric covers a multitude of sins.... and speaker box fabric also acts as a cushion or a layer between hard surfaces to keep things from squeaking.

I'm thinking I will just use speaker box fabric and that will help with the speaker pod fitment, will keep the rattles to a minimum, & will act as the gasket for the mids.

I have NO rear fill right now though. None. I don't really miss it- not really. But- I still have my 1 4" JBL gti mid and amplifier channels available. Strangely enough, that 4" mid will just (and I do mean JUST) fit right inside the smallest part of my subwoofer box port. I think I am going to give that a try- 1 4" speaker for the rear fill. Use the Harman Kardon CSP-1 to do the work to see what works best. I don't feel the center channel output would do well, as it takes only mono center sounds (and mostly vocals) and plays them through it- that would bring the vocals to the back and that would be bad. BUT- it does have a Left and Right rear surround that is strictly L & R (without any mono sound) that sounds like echoes and reflections. If I took the L & R of that and wired it mono- it could be just what I'm after.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

something like this ? not your car but

FB_IMG_1426792472614_zpspg8ujgms.jpg

I think you guys have missed the most important detail of why this worked and was successful when it was competing. Now its just our shop truck lol. The mid and tweet are staggered for a passive time alignment but most importantly it is parallel with the windshield. The reflections are going to be there no matter what but this arrangement the reflections added smaller amounts of constructive interference over a wider bandwidth, with the least amount of comb filtering +2.1db from 400hz to 4.5k versus when we have them firing directly in the glass which resulted in a +13db spike from 1.6k to 4.5k with major comb filtering.

Direct on axis sounds the best, has the least windshield reflection and results in the most detailed sound-stage. Also takes up the most room is the hardest to get right. So there is no free lunch.

SQhemi.......... in a non disrespectful way who are you??? shop truck you mean the grey one...i thought that was Vince's daughters? anywho ive been working on my car should see you guys at the next sq only show........... alpine says hi to all the audio experts crew

Who am I?, Alpine Alpine Alpine. I designed the dash on that truck, Francisco and Vince built that truck, and I have always been the only tuner for that truck. Initially built for his daughter but now the shop truck! But you know all that already. Not sure why you're trolling, I just advised on the topic at hand with the knowledge needed to help bring some additional SQ insight to the SPL world.

'07 SRT8 Charger - Team Hybrid Audio Technologies / Team ARC Audio

'10,'11,'12 Meca California State Champion Modex

'13,'14,'15 Meca California State Champion Extreme

''15 Meca World Champion Extreme Class

'13,'15 Iasca National Champion Pro Class & Ultimate Class

'12,'14 Iasca National Runner Up Pro Class

Good Stuff

'07 SRT8 Charger - Team Hybrid Audio Technologies / Team ARC Audio

'10,'11,'12 Meca California State Champion Modex

'13,'14,'15 Meca California State Champion Extreme

''15 Meca World Champion Extreme Class

'13,'15 Iasca National Champion Pro Class & Ultimate Class

'12,'14 Iasca National Runner Up Pro Class

Thanks SQHemi.

I don't believe Alpine was trolling- he just didn't know who you were. You know... In real life as it were. :D

You could be a broom behind a keyboard for all we know! :D

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Archived