Need help understanding and deciding the correct fuse and holder

Some people fuse to the wires ablility to handle current. The majority seem to do this.

I fuse according to the amperage that will actually flow through the cable.

If the wire can handle 330 amps of current, but your only seeing 150amps of current through the wire, than fusing at 150amps is by far safer than fusing the wire at 300 or 330 amps.

This means if an issue arises and your short out your cable, that 150amp fuse will blow long before the 300 amp fuse. By the time the 300amp fuse blew you could have potentially already melted the wire to your carpet in the car, or burned your carpet along where the wire is ran, or even worse started your vehicle on fire!

Is your amp is fused with two 30 amp fuses (60amps total) then there is no reason to fuse higher than 60amps even if your cable can handle 100amps of current.

Putting a larger fuse in its place will not make your stereo louder or any other rumor/myth that people think. All it will do is make it less safe by making the amount of current needed to blow the fuse.

If you ever put a 2nd amp or a larger amp in the vehicle you can also goto a bigger fuse easily (as long as the amps power requirements do not exceed the wire rating that you are currently using).

EDIT: as for fuse types, anything will really work, but I strongly recommend ANL fuses, especially if your using 1/0 cable, I know there are some companies making fuse holders that hold a bunch of tiny fuses in parallel as well, but from my experience with these holders its like wtf and a pain to use it seems, plus if you blow a fuse then you got to replace multiple fuses instead of just 1.

That's ignoring the fact that a lot of people can't even supply what their gear is asking for current wise.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Some people fuse to the wires ablility to handle current. The majority seem to do this.

I fuse according to the amperage that will actually flow through the cable.

If the wire can handle 330 amps of current, but your only seeing 150amps of current through the wire, than fusing at 150amps is by far safer than fusing the wire at 300 or 330 amps.

This means if an issue arises and your short out your cable, that 150amp fuse will blow long before the 300 amp fuse. By the time the 300amp fuse blew you could have potentially already melted the wire to your carpet in the car, or burned your carpet along where the wire is ran, or even worse started your vehicle on fire!

Is your amp is fused with two 30 amp fuses (60amps total) then there is no reason to fuse higher than 60amps even if your cable can handle 100amps of current.

Putting a larger fuse in its place will not make your stereo louder or any other rumor/myth that people think. All it will do is make it less safe by making the amount of current needed to blow the fuse.

If you ever put a 2nd amp or a larger amp in the vehicle you can also goto a bigger fuse easily (as long as the amps power requirements do not exceed the wire rating that you are currently using).

EDIT: as for fuse types, anything will really work, but I strongly recommend ANL fuses, especially if your using 1/0 cable, I know there are some companies making fuse holders that hold a bunch of tiny fuses in parallel as well, but from my experience with these holders its like wtf and a pain to use it seems, plus if you blow a fuse then you got to replace multiple fuses instead of just 1.

Lots of great info thanks. And it makes a lot more sense now. As for that rumor I lol'd when I read it, I've never heard that before but that's pretty funny.

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

Two 12" Sony Xplode (temporary)

Archived