aculous Posted March 27, 2015 Report Posted March 27, 2015 So finally after being sick and it being too cold to work in the garage I made some headway. Broke open the front drivers side to install deadener and MLV. Get done doing that and I start designing or planning out how I was going to mount the mids. Originally I was going to go with kickpods kinda like Meade did in the lexus but decided against it. Running Beyma 8" mids with a 3.75" mounting depth and a solid 6inch magnet. The driver has a huge pole piece vent as well. Because of the window motor mounting location I can't cut out a 8" hole where the 6x9 was before so I was going to space out the driver, mount it to the 6x9 mounting location but build a fiberglass enclosure to the left of the driver and use that as my airspace. Concern is that with essentially no airspace behind the drive I am going to vent the pole piece into the larger airspace in the door and then vent the actual cone into the left-hand fiberglass enclosure. Will that config starve the driver do you think? Or will I get weird cone "slap" or distortion by not adequately venting it? Want to get some thoughts before I go about cutting up my entire door and building out the enclosure enough 2-4 inches away from the original location.
bcbrassard Posted March 27, 2015 Report Posted March 27, 2015 Tuned in to how this turns out. That why i am putting my 8s in the kick panels vented outside. Cableguy advised it was the best location for midbass. Keeps doors from rattling so much.
ALPINE408 Posted March 27, 2015 Report Posted March 27, 2015 No enclosure... Period vent it into the door... Have you ever had your woofers blown?
aculous Posted March 30, 2015 Author Report Posted March 30, 2015 No enclosure... Period vent it into the door... K, I'll try that and see how it sounds. I am going to try to make a temp setup and just ghetto seal it so I can hear what it sounds like. Tuned in to how this turns out. That why i am putting my 8s in the kick panels vented outside. Cableguy advised it was the best location for midbass. Keeps doors from rattling so much. I deadened the doors and with the MLV it went from tin can to pretty solid so I am hoping for the best. And the kickpanels vented outside is a good setup. I would do that to mine but I pussied out. I was going to make a enclosure that vented up into the bottom of the dash but with the trans tunnel being so tall I wanted to put the drivers in the door to get them up a little higher and also so they line up coherently with the tweeters. Although at a 3.5-5K crossover point it really shouldn't matter. But whatever grill is already cut.
ALPINE408 Posted March 30, 2015 Report Posted March 30, 2015 When dealing with mid bass you don't want it vented into the car you are trying to eliminate the back wave so when people say vented outside they mean outside the car...I have had great luck with multiple mounting rings it gives the mid bass an illusion of an enclosure while venting into the doors make sure your mounting surface is as solid ad you can get it also for improving mid bass Have you ever had your woofers blown?
aculous Posted March 31, 2015 Author Report Posted March 31, 2015 yea the dash idea wasn't well thought out. My theory was to either kill it or use it as with a t-line. Both of which are either two big or not applicable really to a vehicle. Also I thought about a hemholtz diffuser...then I looked at the length of the wave...and the depth I would need...so yea thats not an option either. So...last night was a fail. I hope to get something together tonight. Going to go with your multiple ring idea Alpine. Probably do a stepped one so I can get a little more volume out of it. We'll see. Thoughts on articulated tweeters? Should I just set it and forget it in a fiberglass pod or a articulating one? My guess is once set I shouldn't have to move it but thoughts are appreciated!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.