Low preout voltage?

My headunit has 2v preouts and two sets of rca outs front and rear/sub. There is a sub level control that I apparently have to turn to the max for the mono amp for the subs to reach the voltage for the rms. When setting the 2 ch amp for the front speakers there is no level control on the headunit for the front, so the voltage never gets high enough for the amp.

There is nothing wrong with the 2 ch amp as it works flawlessly when plugged in to the rear/sub preout with the sub level turned up.

Would I benefit by getting another headunit with higher preout voltage?

And when testing rca preout voltages with dmm would I multiply the reading by 2 since there are two cables? or just measure the one and let that be it?

Would I benefit by getting another headunit with higher preout voltage?

And when testing rca preout voltages with dmm would I multiply the reading by 2 since there are two cables? or just measure the one and let that be it?

Question 1, yes you would most likely but you shouldn't need to with just 1 amp

question 2, what pre outs are you going to test? A new HU?

The 2 ch amp works with front rcas plugged into it just not as loud only gets like 5 volts per channel when measured with the dmm. With the 2 ch amp plugged into the rear rcas with the sub level at 0 it gets about the same, around 5 volts but with the sub level maxed it gets around 18 volts per channel.

The volume is at 35/50

and rockford I was referring to testing my current rca output voltages in order to clarify what it exactly is outputting at to try and narrow down the problem.

Just fyi our forum names are above the "db' ranking, that is just an indication of post count.

If you were my friend and I was helping you, the first thing I would do is go back to the source and check for your max undistorted volume. Then look at your RCA's

The tricky thing here is, you really need find out where your max clean output volume is on your headunit for anything to matter and it is very likely that at 35/50 you aren't getting that. Using a headunit with higher pre-out voltage won't help if you can't determine where you volume needs to be. A scope or a DD-1 will help you a lot in determining this setting.

Once you know that and you set your gains appropriately, I would bet that you no longer have issues with output on your 2 channel amp, assuming you have a quality amp that is functioning correctly.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived