Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Advice on new 2000W RMS setup, two sealed 10" ICON or one ported XCON?


TrevMill

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I've been fiddling with car audio for almost 20 years now but in a very, very amateur way......mainly focusing on SPL using JL Audio equipment in the past.

My toy vehicle is a standard cab 1993 Chevy S10 so my options are already fairly limited for subwoofers. Currently I am running two Image Dynamics ID3 10s on a JL Audio 500/1 and it has been okay but I am completely restoring the truck.....overhauling the engine, interior, paint, everything.

I will be running dual alternators, Big 3, 0g wire, second skin luxury liner pro, and fiberglassing custom door panels to focus more on sound quality than I ever have before.

My question is this. I've already chosen my subwoofer amp, I'll be using the Crescendo Audio BC2000D which is know is good for well over 2000 watts RMS with proper electrical in place. Should I use this to power two 10" SSA ICONs in a sealed box (each sub is 1250w RMS), or one 10" SSA XCON in a ported box (1750w RMS)? I have room to design both boxes, I just don't have any experience with these subs and to be honest, I don't have ANY experience with subwoofers that can handle over 1000w RMS each.

My goal is hyper-realistic low frequency response for every day listening (Progressive Metal like Opeth, Mastodon, etc) but I also still have the eternal basshead in me that likes to pop in Decaf from time to time and give my brain a good massage.

I'm leaning towards the two sealed ICONs but I've heard incredible things about how the XCON performs in ported setups. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated, and any questions about the rest of my build are welcome as well. Like most of you, I could talk about this stuff all day.

Posted

I'm 6'2" so I can't let the seat out any really, so the absolute biggest box I can build will be around 1.8 cubes. So, porting the two ICONs isn't an option unfortunately. I could build the "optimal" sealed or ported boxes recommended by SSA for the setups I am considering though.

I will also be running a Crescendo S800.4 for my mids and highs, this is why I was considering the dual alternator route. I'd rather have too much juice than too little.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9689 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...