router table instead of table saw?

im45pl

at the moment i am wanting a way to accurately cut mdf etc, i am short on space at my house so i was thinking of using my little bench router and building a larger table around it and using a good quality spiral trim bit ( like mobile solutions sell ) to cut smaller pieces, i wanted a table saw with the bench router built into one large table but i do not have the space... i have a track saw i can use with some saw horses for the large work

for strait cuts i would use a straight edge and double sided tape for the bit to run along. other then using a heap of tape and using some extra materiel due to the bit thickness can anybody think of any major drawbacks to this?

pic of the bench router that will have a larger work area built around it

20150121_194346_zps0csu5j1w.jpg

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

Just remember a router is not a table saw. Do table saw.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Just remember a router is not a table saw. Do table saw.

of course and if room was available then i would be using one for sure, im not planning on using it as a saw as such, i would rough cut first then trim straight, like copying a template, which in my mind doesnt seem too bad.. especially the amount of times i will use it ( not that many )

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

I would not use the router table as a table saw for several reasons.....just get the table saw

mind listing a few? genuine interest here not being argumentative.

unless i can find a place to store my one of my cars or build an outdoor undercover area which i doubt i could afford for some time then i am going to really struggle to fit one in my garage.... unless i can get a cover made for it and keep it outside maybe... hmm that could be an option i just thought of

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

table saw way more accurate then router table with jigs. You will burn routers up in a router table using it as a table saw. Buy a small portable table saw that you can fold up and put up against a wall. Rigid makes a nice portable one.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

not in aus as far as i know, we can get small cheap enough ones that will do the job, just want a larger surface area to rest the wood on if that makes sense, and yeah burning out bits was a concern and will also be quite costly over time. may just have to get creative with my limited space, i supposed the angle blade on a table saw would really be helpful too... dammit lol

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

If you don't plan on using it a lot, make a homemade guide and be done with it. It takes a little more time but with a couple clamps and straight board, you can get very nice accurate cuts with a cheap circular saw.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

If you don't plan on using it a lot, make a homemade guide and be done with it. It takes a little more time but with a couple clamps and straight board, you can get very nice accurate cuts with a cheap circular saw.

yeah already got a guide with a circ saw and also the plunge saw with a track. for large pieces they are awesome but for the smaller stuff not so much, i may just get a small one and put it out of the way when im not using it. i could be over thinking this too i tend to get carried away, hence my posting here for some other options that may be better, kinda like thinking out loud...

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

Archived