Sayer Thomas Posted April 20, 2015 Report Posted April 20, 2015 Has anything ever been used beside MDF or Birch for a box/enclosures? Just wondering why birch and mdf are the only options for wood when it comes to building a box...
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 20, 2015 Report Posted April 20, 2015 There are lots of other options out there, it just depends on what people have available and what they are used to using. Most of the boxes I build are out of Arauco ply. When I want to build a prototype box and I want to do it cheap I've used OSB too. MDF and birch ply are used a lot because they have a good price/performance ratio. If cost didn't matter I'd build everything out of Baltic birch ply (which is different from regular birch ply). "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Karkov Posted April 20, 2015 Report Posted April 20, 2015 In the 90's we built things out of 3/4" particle board (OSB?) and things seemed to perform fine, back then things weren't so high powered etc.etc. if that even makes a difference in sound pressure levels. EDIT: seen people use 3/4" and 5/8" plywood but I never wood. 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
Sayer Thomas Posted April 20, 2015 Author Report Posted April 20, 2015 There are lots of other options out there, it just depends on what people have available and what they are used to using. Most of the boxes I build are out of Arauco ply. When I want to build a prototype box and I want to do it cheap I've used OSB too. MDF and birch ply are used a lot because they have a good price/performance ratio. If cost didn't matter I'd build everything out of Baltic birch ply (which is different from regular birch ply). I was thinking about the Baltic birch but I seen hardwood plywoods that cost more and I was wondering if they could be used, and if the box quality would be good.
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 20, 2015 Report Posted April 20, 2015 Higher quality hardwood plywood a will use Baltic birch for the core. These would be just as good for box building as plain Baltic birch is. Mostly what you are paying for with a hardwood ply is the face veneers. Cheaper hardwood plys (like what you find at Home Depot) use cheap cores and would not be what I'd want to use for box building. To Karkov: OSB and particle board are very different things. I personally, wont use particle board for anything, ever. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Andrew Storlie Posted May 3, 2015 Report Posted May 3, 2015 the best stuff to use would probably be concrete, the more dense the walls the better... not very easy to make or move i would assume lol
Triticum Agricolam Posted May 3, 2015 Report Posted May 3, 2015 the best stuff to use would probably be concrete, the more dense the walls the better... not very easy to make or move i would assume lol I've seen it done. Looked like a lot of work and I doubt there would be any discernible difference between concrete and a properly braced wood enclosure. What's "best" is definitely a matter of opinion too. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
jasonearlbritton Posted May 5, 2015 Report Posted May 5, 2015 I need a box for my two 15" sound stream t7 can some one help me with the dimensions of the is going in a 2001 Dodge Durango
Skullz Posted May 5, 2015 Report Posted May 5, 2015 Lead would be best since it is the most dense material you can get, but the cost to buy it and the weight it adds to a vehicle is prohibitive. People have used metal, wood, carbon fiber, fiberglass and some other exotic materials for enclosures over the years. 01 Ford focus ZX3 Pioneer AVH-X491BHS PPI PC 4800.2 Morel Maximo 6.5" x2
Andrew Storlie Posted May 5, 2015 Report Posted May 5, 2015 other exotic materials... maybe if i win the lottery 10 times in a row i can pay to have a box grown out of diamond... or forged out of tungsten carbide lol and then slap some sony subs in it lol
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.