Second Skin Audio

port LOCATION (dual ports)

ok... ive been working on a box design for a single 12 for awhile now, SQL not SPL.

so far i have this...

Auto_Save_Dayton_UM_12_d2_box_for_jeep.jAuto_Save_Dayton_UM_12_d2_box_for_jeep2.Auto_Save_Dayton_UM_12_d2_box_for_jeep3.

SO......

the box is 3ft^3 after port and sub displacement with dual 4" aeros tuned at 25hz... window in center will have something laser engraved in it with lights (idk what to engrave yet, ideas welcome)

MY PROBLEM!!!! im very very OCD about the ports having more room between them and the window then the sub and the window... BUT the window HAS to be in the center... so my question is, will it do anything if i do a center sub, and a port on each side while keeping diameter and length all the same (refer to pics below)

PICS ARE NOT TO SCALE!!!!

assuming this in both pictures that box size, port size/length and volume stay the same, would there be any difference in port location between the 2 pics???????

side_port.jpgcenter.jpg

First thought...no one needs to tune to 24 Hz for music in a care. Just my opinion...this is not home theater, its music.

Second thought...no one needs to see the convoluted port turns inside the box. Ports are not sexy, therefore they dont need to be shown off. Again, just my opinion, but you asked.

If you want to tune that low (which requires long ports in a small box) have you tried fitting slot ports with the turns at each end, then where they end inside the box is where you could start the plexi...so you dont necessarily see the ports but you will see the sub. This will likely result with a smaller plexi window.

Oh, and third thought....nice sketchup skills! woo...you rival even myself!

well thx, im a 3d graphic designer and animator so im used to using sketchup alot for everything. me i like to see the workings in the box so i like the ports, like you said opinion wise. and the sub im using has an fs of 24.9hz. i really want a nice flater curve, i dont wanna have really peaky bass at 35hz or whatever it would be.

for the ports... i plan to use pvc most likely and will use/sand body filler to fill in where the large opening slides over the pipe, so it will be just as smooth as the picture shows..

and as a SNEEK PEEK i planned to have "01010011 01010000 01001100 00100000 01101001 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01100111" ectched in to the glass with RGB led strips on top and bottem to light it up... the binary code translates to "SPL isn't everything"

Interesting design, that's for sure. Those ports are going to be "fun" to make!

Keep in mind with your frequency response that cabin gain is going to boost your low end output significantly.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Interesting design, that's for sure. Those ports are going to be "fun" to make!

Keep in mind with your frequency response that cabin gain is going to boost your low end output significantly.

yea i know the cabin gain is gonna be a B***H i shunk the box from 3.5ft^3 to 2.8ft^3 and that helped a bit

Archived